1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you talk about politics with your friends and family?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Oct 15, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The last time I tried to talk politics with a family member (who doesn't share my own leanings) was with my much loved aunt, a few years ago. Her lips disappeared and she said she just ... wouldn't.
    At the time I was a bit bemused, but actually, she might have a point. I've gone off some people when I've found out their political beliefs are everything I can't stand, and no doubt plenty people have gone off me when certain things have come up in conversation.
    Do you think it's best to keep schtum? Or am I a total weed? On another note, I have nothing but admiration for political activists who knock on people's doors to talk politics. I'm a member of a political party and the most I would commit to would be stuffing envelopes.

lunarita and smoothnewt like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

This. Politics, religion and climate change issues can be very divisive.

Scum of the earth. All of them! You either agree with them, so discussion is a waste of time, or you don't, so discussion is a waste of time.

3. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I still talk to friends - I think there's something in us that attracts us more to people with similar values so friends tend to hold similar views. Like you, I go off people if I discover they hold certain views and those friendships don't last.

I don't talk to family about politics any more though, I think we're scared to confront the differences between us. I have lived and worked in Europe for many years and a couple of close family members voted for brexit.

Here in Spain, talking about the Catalan problem and the rise of the right has become dangerous territory in recent years but again, those I consider friends have similar views to mine.

smoothnewt and coffeekid like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That sounds like it's best for others to keep shtum when they're with you!

coffeekid likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lol. This is why I don't go door-knocking.

nomad likes this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Hey. I'm not a saint. Humans are flawed, and I'm VERY flawed.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sssht. You shouldn't have said that. I've gone off you now.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh shoosh.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Fortunately my immediate relatives and friends are all in accordance with my and my husband’s political views. Being a retired MFL teacher I am naturally pro-Europe, and my ex-colleagues and I always shared the same views - unsurprising as we were a mixed bunch including French, German, Austrian and a Pole. With all of these I will happily discuss the Brexit fiasco.

I tend to avoid discussing Brexit with the odd Leaver of my acquaintance as there is really no point. Too depressing!

Laphroig, Alice K, lunarita and 2 others like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I joined the Labour party in the mid 90s when Tony Blair was the leader in the era before he became prime minister. I was sucked in by Blair's 'pretty straight kind of guy' persona and I genuinely thought he was a fresh breath of air in British politics. One of the first acts of the New Labour government in 1997 was to stage the teachers' pay award, delaying it's full implementation to save money at the expense of teachers' living standards. It was then I realised that Blair was no better than the rest of them until the illegal Iraq war confirmed that in fact he was probably worse. I've never trusted a politician since.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Talk with family sure.

Not colleagues... not 'friends'

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We discuss but can agree to disagree amicably and like sensible adults. You can still like/ be friends with folk who hold different views.

13. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Depends what those views are though.

lunarita likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

To a point. I can't be friends with a racist. Sorry.

blue451, monicabilongame and lunarita like this.
  15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Oddly enough I’m just this minute involved in a political discussion on WhatsApp with my husband and daughters!
    :D

coffeekid likes this.
  16. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Good common sense.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That would indeed inhibit conversation and dialogue. Does the same happen with other things you can't stand (religion, crime etc.), or is it just politics that raises your hackles?

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

But also, a waste of time on both sides. As I say, sometimes better just not to bring it up. My uncle (not a blood relation) used the word "nig-nog" in a conversation about immigrants and that was it for me. He can get tae. I'm not going to be "the better person" in this scenario.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our eldest is a union activist who's been campaigning to improve working conditions for co-workers in her sector. It's taken her to some interesting places, including giving evidence to a Parliamentary committee. She's appeared as a noisy demonstrator twice on national TV, and I'm proud of everything she does in that field. Of course we discuss Politics, it's part of my degree and for a short while I taught it at 'A' Level.

Our immediate family rarely disagree on Political issues. I'm more wary about sounding off about B****t in the company of other middle-aged people as I know the odds are that most of them voted differently to me. It's just not worth the hassle.

smoothnewt and coffeekid like this.
  20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Family, yes. We don't all agree and there's one person that I have to stop the conversation with before it becomes too heated but we can talk for a bit before that point. I have one colleague who has similar but not identical views to me and we eye roll and text each other if something really significant happens. That's about it.

coffeekid likes this.