1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you take your belongings?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cindycavazos16, Jul 14, 2019 at 3:21 AM.

1. cindycavazos16

cindycavazos16 New commenter

I am just beginning to consider teaching abroad. I have a lot of questions but one I’m wondering about now is do people take their belongings/furniture? Or do you store everything back home?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Varies.
    Some pack and ship everything.
    Some store most stuff at home.
    Some sell everything.

I did a bit of all, sold, gave away, donated to charity everytime I move.
    I have some stuff stored in my parents' loft.
    I have some stuff that I take with me overseas.

cindycavazos16 likes this.
  3. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

We're the same as 576.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You will be amazed at what you dont need...sell everything

cindycavazos16 and afterdark like this.
  5. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Same as 586.

I guess it depends on how big your parents' or siblings' attics are! It also makes a difference if you own your own house in the UK and are able to rent it out furnished or not - we were, so a lot of our furniture stayed. It will also depend on your relocation allowance, how long you envisage yourself staying in one place and whether you have kids (who always seem to have far more stuff and be more attached to it than adults).

mermy and cindycavazos16 like this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Depends where you are going. Some countries impose huge import duty on anything you transport so shipping is just too expensive.

7. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

I intended to let my house unfurnished & so was all set to sell everything & then buy again overseas. However, my school only offered a shipping allowance and wouldn't let me buy things with the money instead. Therefore, it was worked out far cheaper for me to ship my possessions instead as I used the school's money rather than mine. It all depends on what the school offers.

576 and cindycavazos16 like this.
  8. dumbbells66

Have you thought about what happens when you move on? Who will pay to ship all that stuff to another country? It can get very expensive indeed if you arent careful

9. cindycavazos16

cindycavazos16 New commenter

10. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Yeah you’re totally right & we gave this a lot of thought before we had the items shipped. We didn’t ship anything large like furniture as the apartments here are all furnished already. We just shipped electronics & small household items that had little resale value but would have amounted to a lot of money to buy brand new. We didn’t ship anything that would cost too much to ship back or that we wouldn’t want to leave behind if pushed.

For the future, the plan is to either ship it to the next destination as many schools offer a shipping allowance or simply leave it behind. But many items would also be brought home in suitcases during visits to the U.K. on the run up to the next move.

Moving overseas & renting accommodation has definitely changed the way we think about what we purchase. Before buying we consider what will happen when we move again. It’s seriously decluttered our home & saved us a lot of money thus allowing us to save & enjoy additional holidays etc.

576 likes this.
  11. 576

Totally agree, I consider myself quite minimalist and a big part of that is that I know I will move on and every possession has to be dealt with, whether packed, moved and unpacked or a new home for it found.

12. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

We literally took two suitcases with us and a few photos of loved ones. It is amazing how much you will come back to the UK with from your host country. We were given a healthy relocation allowance to buy essentials too

13. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Am I correct in thinking that many schools offer a shipping allowance? I assumed most decent schools would (except for some more desirable European locations I mean). Dumbbells has me wondering now...

14. 576

All 3 of mine did.

The first one paid for shipping.

The second one sent a cheque so you could use it for shipping or for buying stuff, but when you left the allowance could only be used for shipping and it had to be back to your home country.

The third gave you the allowance in full, in cash, on arrival.

15. dumbbells66

It depends. Most of mine have, except one paid excess baggage upto 150Kg per person. Some of the schools my sister worked at did, some didnt. I know all of my schools, your exit allowence was nowhere near the entrance allowence. This is why i travel the world with 5 suitcases....you really dont need to much, and make sure you check what the school actually provides....no need to double up

16. 576

Yes. A couple I knew shipped everything to East Africa, intending to be there till retirement. Then their contract wasn't renewed and they got new jobs in Egypt and were warned that it just wasn't worth shipping stuff there so they had a massive amount of stuff to sell.

17. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

This is great advice that I myself also followed. Take & land with as many suitcases as you can. It makes no sense in getting rid of them & then rebuying bath towels, bed sheets & clothing when they can be packed and transported easily & at the school's expense. Also, take prescription medications (3 month supply if you simply write a letter stating that you are going travelling), new clothes (your destination may not have your size e.g. East Asia). Moreover, I've found U.K. sales to be very good in comparison to other parts of Europe & so always stock up when I return home.