1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you stop 'teaching' handwriting at some point?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Many of my year 2 class now have beautiful handwriting (after lots of work last term and targeting handwriting) so they don't really need 'teaching' any more. They don't even need daily practise, just normal amounts of writing as in literacy and so on.

I then have a small group with utterly terrible writing who could do with daily TA fine motor skills work and print handwriting. This can happen in my school and so will do so this term.

Soooo with these groups, do I need to still do daily handwriting 'teaching'? I'd say not and would like to stop to allow for other lessons, but am not sure how my HT will feel. What do you people do?

2. I'm assuming you mean the majority have beautiful cursive handwriting? If so, focus daily input on your group who still require daily sessions and surely you can get some handwriting into your daily phonics sessions? Two birds and one stone and all that!

I am impressed that at this point in year two they are that good with handwriting - are there particular joins that you maybe need to work on? Particular phonemes that the children struggle with that you could use as a context for handwriting practise - maybe just shorten the length of time you do it for.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We do daily handwriting no matter how good a child's handwriting is... in every year group

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No. Should I? How?
    Yes.
    No, did that last term.
    See, we don't. We don't have a whole school handwriting anything.

My class do write every day and so I'm was planning to always have 'neat, joined handwriting' as one of the SC, meaning they get daily practise that way. Just not to have it as a taught subject.

5. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

When should you start teaching joined handwriting?

I have one child who can join their handwriting in an upper KS2 class!

Surely they should be writing in a joined style by now?

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would stop if their handwriting is of a good size and cursive and if they're using it confidently enough to be quicker than print. Why teach them something they can already do. Wish my Y5's were as good!! Still teaching them!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My class spend half of afternoon break asking "are we going to do handwriting?" They won't go home until we do it!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

'Write consistently
    with neat, legible
    and joined
    handwriting.'
    is level 3, so depends on the ability of your class.

9. Minnie I have to admit that handwriting lessons are the thing that I haven't really been happy with up to now. How did you fit in daily sessions alongside phonics? My problem is that if it is just me and the class I can't get around them all to see if they are actually doing it correctly etc. I am very impressed that you have the majority writing so well (and a bit envious). I certainly couldn't say the same about my Year 2s. Any tips gratefully received (sorry to jump on your thread as I obviously haven't got any advice to give!)

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have an hour and fifteen mins between break and lunch.
    So phonics for 20 mins, then handwriting for 15 mins, then literacy for 40 mins.

GR was straight after lunch for 20 mins.

I 'taught' groups to start with in handwriting and am lucky that I have two TAs in that session. So one with the very poor, one with the already very neat, quickly learning joins and me with the middle mass learning joins and practising. Handwriting issues were also their individual targets last term, so that also helped.

11. Hi Minnie
    Thanks for that. Very useful. Do you find 40 mins enough for the main Literacy lesson? I feel we give so much time to Literacy already, in comparison to maths, I would find it hard to find it from elsewhere. Maybe I could try and squeeze it in three times a week for now, or try to do some short session when I have a TA. At the moment it just feels fairly pointless when I try and teach it to the whole class. I will have another look at my timetable as I suppose even a 10 min slot for handwriting daily, or near daily would be worth it.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I worked on the principle that phonics, guided reading and handwriting were all literacy as is the end of day story. So my class still had nearly 2 hours a day of literacy which is more than enough!

13. Yep, I agree with you there. Can't get GR down to 20 mins though, as I just can't hear them all in this time etc. I have just re-jigged my timetable and have managed to schedule three handwriting sessions plus a TA doing a targeted group in a guided reading carousel twice a week. It all looks a bit hectic, but I will give it a good try as I feel shamed by my lack of success in this area...

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL unfortunately neat writing will not get them all to a level 2a/3c all by itself. Looking good is only the first step.

Now if they could all just remember to use their phonic knowledge to spell, put capital letters in the right places, use connectives other than 'and', use the odd full stop here and there, use some interesting words....and so on!

Don't feel guilty!