1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you still recommend teaching? eehat g f

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newposter, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

You do yourself down, Have a look at the threads in this forum about moving out of the profession.

There really are lots of success stories.

Start looking at ads in your area for both commercial and public service jobs.

You might be surprised at how good a fit you are for some of them.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. zannar

zannar New commenter

I will not recommend teaching until it goes back to teaching for the children and not ofsted.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

the complete lack of respect from some kids is enough not to do it. they somehow think that we owe them something and should be eternally grateful to THEM because we have the privilege of teaching them. Being treated like dirt wears thin.

I too am realising that I could be living a better life right now, but it's too expensive to retrain now and I'm running out of options. Feeling well and truly stuck.

agathamorse, saluki and geordiepetal like this.
  4. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Computer says no

agathamorse likes this.
  5. JWEdu

JWEdu New commenter

I've had 4 observations in less than 2 months. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

mothergoose2013 and agathamorse like this.
  6. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Anyone who recommends teaching as a profession is either: deluded; a member of SLT; new to the job; or simply doesn't realise how messed up our jobs are.

7. julieerdmann15101971

julieerdmann15101971 New commenter

No!!!!Dont bother gettinh into this profession . The creation of academies has killed the profession. All the academies want is young cheap labour. They could not care less about the children. Its all about money now. I beg you find another profession. Teaching will drive you into a mental institution . Save your self.

8. a1976

a1976 New commenter

You are absolutely right.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. dibbles00

dibbles00 New commenter

As Baxter correctly states it would be "borderline irresponsible to recommend [teaching]".
    I left the profession and it was the best move I made. I was teaching for 8.5 years and on top pay scale - I already earn nearly twice my salary now after three years in industry. Feel better valued, enjoy my job, have work life balance and don't have to deal with a pathetic senior leadership team...

If I could, I would put absolutely everyone thinking of going into teaching off the idea. It is simply not a good career to go into and as another person pointed out - a waste of a degree.

However, for some people teaching is a vocation - I'll give them 8 years or less before they too realise how bad of a job it is.

10. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

NOOOOO! My daughter is post-grad and currently working part time in retail while she looks for something related to her degree and I have told her she would be happier stuck in her retail job than in teaching. I'm trying to get myself out!

11. NinjaCurtain

NinjaCurtain New commenter

Dibbles, I completely agree with you and everyone else, no way should teaching be considered as a job!

I’ve finally decided to call it a day on teaching and am trying to return to industry. Do you have any tips on getting in? I have a similar amount of teaching experience as you and I’m getting ‘you’ve been out of the industry for a long time’. This is biotech industry, over a decade there before teaching.

12. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques New commenter

The last school I did supply at had an observation culture so hostile, it was like watching people being forced to play Russian roulette.

13. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 New commenter

Have to confess to talking a good few of my son's friends out of it. My son wouldn't have even considered it as he has witnessed what it has done to me (and him) over the years. All his friends, (and him), are earning at least as much as M6, playing as hard as they are working, and have options, many still get paid for overtime. The one girl who went for it anyway is really struggling and is unwell. His cohort are 25 / 26. Have to agree that recommending teaching, knowing what I know,would be ethically challenging for me.

eljefeb90 likes this.