1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you still recommend teaching? eehat g f

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newposter, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

This is reassuring to know! I have been asked to tutor a student English GCSE, predicted a 2 and a 3 and wants to become a primary school teacher. It is really really depressing. I can’t do it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    eljefeb90 likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

Well, not the working in SCHOOLS teaching profession any favours, anyway. It really rankles with me the snobbery directed against ‘mere’ examiners and tutors, many of us are very experienced teachers and former HODS! No cameraderie in this game. Better to laugh or else you’d cry!

Sir_Henry likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

I would like to think that, but am now resigned to the grim future of the AI online droids taking over, and firmly auto-logging off when they get the inevitable online abuse from bratty kids and parents. The future of good education will lie of organised cooperatives of home school networks, a few decent free schools, comprehensives and grammars and the elite toff schools. Lovely jubbly.

4. Mrsmumbles

The privates are becoming very performance driven, ageist and sexist. Only notable difference is more ageist culling of middle, ups and managerial level sin favour of yet more thicky edutheoristic freaks, more young men carbuncular who will become child headmasters...more ruthless trouser-suited Pickwells...people you shouldn’t want to have anywhere near your kids.

pennyh. and agathamorse like this.
  5. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

Sadly, I wouldn't recommend teaching to anyone, ever.

6. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Why would rudeness concern you?

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I came into teaching after working elsewhere. It was always something that I wanted to do and I enjoyed it. I'm glad I did it. I was also very glad to get out of it.
    I would always point out that it is a useful qualification and there are many routes and careers that you can pursue once you are into education. I would also point out that any prospective teacher should have a get out plan and most careers nowadays are not jobs for life. This could apply to almost any chosen career.
    I know someone who completed their PGCE last Summer. They started their first job in October. They are already an escape route from the chalk face. (Behaviour, behavior, behavior.)

pleasemiss__ and agathamorse like this.
  8. matevans

matevans New commenter

I worked out, by dividing my salary by the hours worked, that last term I worked for a take home pay of about £7.00 an hour. And I'm on UPS3 with a (small) TLR. My Sixth Formers are on more than that in their supermarket jobs. Sorry, but I could not recommend teaching currently.

eljefeb90, agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My Daughter (who is 22) - makes almost as much money as I do already and enjoys her job a lot more.

10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Everyone I know makes more money than me for less time worked, it's very difficult to recommend it.

That being said, it's the best job in the world when you are treated as a professional who knows what they are doing (by students, parents, SLT and OFSTED).

11. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

The simple fact of the matter is that, with 15 years on the job, UPS3, a large whole-school TLR and a recruitment and retention allowance, I still earn less than a 22-year-old new graduate on a City training scheme. You can quote market forces and "real world" "facts" all day long, but that sh*t simply ain't right, and no amount of backflipping to justify it can do so.

Now, I love my job, but would I recommend a graduate to go into it now? No. I'm lucky. I trained and learned my craft during a time when there was money, and we felt (a little bit) valued. I don't know how a new teacher today even survives a term.

12. chocolateboxlife

chocolateboxlife New commenter

My son's partner completed her PGCE this summer and, in September, started her job in primary full of enthusiasm. Just this weekend she has told me she wants to leave so she is going to see her HT to see if she can leave asap as she doesn't want to wait until Easter. Why? She says she doesn't want to work 14 hour days and weekends and have to put up with poor behaviour from 9 year olds and she dreads going into school (rated Outstanding) every morning. So another intelligent, accomplished (she speaks 5 languages) conscientious, hardworking young person is going to be lost to the - I was going to say profession but it no longer is a profession - and I have to say I did not try to change her mind.

13. FriarLawrence

Honestly I feel like a bit of a mug. Here I sit, in my forties, a 2:1 from one of the better universities in the country, pretty intelligent, lots to offer. And I do love my job, I do love the kids. But I still feel like I've had the p*ss taken out of me by this system. Almost everyone I know makes far more money than me and - while I don't work 14 hour days or anything like it - my stress and anxiety levels seem a lot higher than, again, almost everyone I know. I think to many of my friends, a salary of double mine is a completely standard expectation by our time of life.

So many SLTs still have this view of leadership that's so outmoded it's untrue: we are kids to them, assumed-incompetent wasters who should be grateful to have jobs at all. It never seems to occur to them that the opposite is true: they're lucky to have us. They've got a staff of degree-educated professionals with a skillset enabling them to do a job, day-in, day-out, which yer man or woman on the street would (and does) baulk at. And they're paying these people a pittance compared to what a similarly developed level of qualification and skill in almost any other field could expect to receive. SLTs are lucky beyond words to have the honour of their staff choosing to work at their school, but is that the attitude? We should be so lucky.

I just have to focus on the fact that I quite like my job, and that my salary is at least above the national average. If I think about what I could've earned, or the life I could've lived, if I'd chosen to do what most of the graduates from my university did, I just feel like an idiot. It's too late to swap horses now; I'm too old.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

15. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

In your forties?

Barely half-way through a working life. Although judging by the posts in these forums, if you stay in teaching you could be well over half the way through a teaching life.

All the management skills you have learned as a teacher, together with the degree you came in with mean that you could actually move out of teaching to a job you look forward to going to every day and for which you are properly rewarded.

(And you've already got a half-pension sorted)

16. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Too late for me to swap horses too, I'm afraid. I'm in my mid-50's so the horse has pretty well bolted! I have 15 years of pension so not quite enough to survive on just now and there's not a lot of alternative jobs where I live in NE Scotland. A while ago, some kind soul posted a table which showed the month by month accrual of ARBs on your pension (or something to that affect, get muddled with the jargon but you know what I mean!) and it's regularly looking at this table and seeing my pension go up that's going to keep me working for another year, maybe 2 but no more. Would love to retire now while I'm still fit-ish but wouldn't be able to afford to do all the fabulous travelling and stuff I'd love to. Become a teacher? Nope. No way. No.

eljefeb90, agathamorse and pennyh. like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Well within the next twenty years, the droidbots and AI rogrammes will be doing all the work. Then we will want to work for peanuts to kill the boredom. Saw Netflix’s ‘The Humanity Bureau’, and althou* it was utter cheese, some of the ideas seem horribly familiar and possible. Euugh.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. a1976

a1976 New commenter

There are many things I resent and certainly do not miss about the 'profession'. The long hours is just one of them and quite minor really. However, the backbiting, the attitude that teaching is just an extension to sixth form/uni that many new teachers have, the demoralising, and ****-kissing have made me say "never again". I work as a supply teacher and just finished a long term placement and you would not believe the pettiness that existed in that school. I mean, the gossip, stealing food from the fridge, taking the mick, etc. When someone doesn't want to teach a lesson, they get the supply teacher to do it but yet, they told me I'm full time so I need to do what the full time members of staff are required to do.

Geesh, no wonder kids act the way they do.

agathamorse and pennyh. like this.
  19. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

No- One child graduating next year would make a good teacher but has been put off seeing what I and husband went through with the long hours. Maybe if Maths and wanted long hols, low pay and ability to walk away!! Mind you Graduate Schemes are a nightmare working through application systems- Human Resource departments have a lot to answer for in the systems they have set up. They also ask for degrees that do not exist! So I can see why many students still look at teaching.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. FriarLawrence

Yes, but in practice - what? We’re not respected outside teaching either, as far as I can see.

agathamorse likes this.