1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you still recommend teaching? eehat g f

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newposter, Nov 25, 2018.

1. a1976

a1976 New commenter

Even if they do miraculously find a way to reduce workload, I would not recommend anyone touching the profession with a ten foot pole. If they do reduce workload, other aspects that make the job extremely difficult if not impossible would cancel it out.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I still retain some enthusiasm for the job - even after 20 years - but I wouldn't fancy getting into teaching now.

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yep. That pretty sums up what I say as well. I used to feel ashamed for quitting after 20 years; now I'm proud I managed to last full time (bar the last 9 months) in the job! The bambi children who replaced me sure as heck won't, I'm convinced of that.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

So...looking forward to getting out of teaching!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

I think the kybosh for me, apart from everything Drek has said, which pretty much nails it, is realising that a lot of kids are vindictive, gobby and out of control brats who are able to - and often do - falsely accuse a staff of abuse, which wrecks their career and life. They never seemed to have realised that safeguarding is important BUT so is staff retention and morale and that there needed to be a very fast and efficient system in place that backed up staff. It should be innocent until proven guilty, not 'treat this person like scum, cease all contact and kick them out unfairly.' This sort of accusation has never actually happened to me, but if I went back into a school, there's nothing to stop a kid making a false claim in the first week. Things I'd have never dreamt of doing as a kid at school are now done by an increasingly messed up and disaffected student body, some of whom are probably suffering. Yet teachers get all the kicking and scapegoating. It really is the final insult. A bit like a top brain surgeon wh repeatedly saves and improves jis patients' lives being accused of illegal organ harvesting and selling online. Insane, upsetting and evidence of an increasingly litigious and unsatisfied general public. Who don't deserve our help.

6. Mrsmumbles

Bet they think they are better than the rest of you and that they'll have all their debts repaid soon. Bet that'll not happen!

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  7. a1976

a1976 New commenter

Um, wouldn't say that but I do believe that the 'profession' will be nothing more than young people who think teaching is just an extension to sixth form/ university.

8. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

No

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I still see enough younger teachers in the schools I work in making a good go of it, so I wouldn't actively dissuade anyone. It's their choice and their future, not mine.

What I wouldn't do is try to persuade someone that employment in the state education sector was the only worthwhile option for them.

BioEm and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  10. numberoneteacher

numberoneteacher New commenter

I'm an ex teacher and I encourage my own children to become teachers just so they are able to leave the UK. I would never want them teaching in this country. I want them to be in a profession where it is pretty easy to get work in any country rather than being trapped in a country that is going down the toilet!

Shedman, flyuplife and agathamorse like this.
  11. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

The thing that did it for me was the being observed three times in a year to prove you can still teach. Why we all (teachers and unions) let that creep in over the past five years or so, god only knows.

All you need is somebody who has it in for you, and your career has effectively finished at that school.

I don't know about anybody else, but I really don't need that sort of **** in my life.

12. Mrsmumbles

So..NO RESERVOIR OF KNOWLEDGE! Future (if not current) schools will lack experienced examiners, postgraduates, teachers who know exactly what does and doesn’t work as they have already taken through over twelve GCSE cohorts, who can adapt prexisitng material to the latest stupid specification change. It will be kids, as you say, fresh out of uni, inexperienced, tired, grumpy, with no back up. Like the staff turnover you get in Macdonald’s or a cheap seaside hotel. Excellent.

13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I actively dissuaded my own three kids from being a teacher. My eldest was quite keen as some of her university friends went into teacher training and she graduated just when the financial crash kicked in. I was very direct with her , telling her the experiences of the NQTs and young teachers I worked with. The ridiculous hours, the constant monitoring and the lack of support and respect from students, parents and managers. The anxiety and tears and high stress levels. I didn't want that for her. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Now aged 30, earns about £38000, with increments up to £48000 in five years , unless she gets promoted. She goes to the gym three evenings a week, an evening class another night and team drinks till late on a Thursday. Oh, and works from home once a week. My 26 year old daughter is on £39000, my son, who only graduated last summer ea rns £30000. Their evenings are their own; their weekends are free. They can work from home once a week. Most importantly, they are trusted and respected and supported.

14. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

I've been known to literally laugh in the face of students when I find out they're thinking of becoming a teacher.

pennyh., Shedman, Sir_Henry and 2 others like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's not your decision to make - and it's rude.

You don't do the teaching profession any favours by behaving like that.

16. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

To put it into context, at times the desire to become a teacher has been expressed by students who seem to struggle with the workload of writing a title and the laugh is stifled or morphs into a cough.
    Usually though, it is with students with whom I have a good relationship. My amusement at least makes them question their decision and usually prompts a good follow up discussion.
    Obviously it's not my decision to make but if a student's choice is so weak that a bit of laughter has dissuaded them, I don't think I'm doing the profession any harm.

Mrsmumbles, agathamorse and drek like this.
  17. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Just maybe, if enough people leave Teaching then the Profession will become valued again, and also salary could hopefully reflect the skills and demands needed to do the toughest job, i.e. which is at the chalkface.

mothergoose2013 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Dream on

agathamorse likes this.
  19. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

How else will it happen?

20. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

No, never. Not now, which is incredibly sad. It's a worrying thought for the future of our education system, too. What a dreadful state it has become. (At least in the State sector, I can't speak for the Private/Public sector, which may be very different). So many people are worn down and damaged health wise by the present system, so a definite "no" from me.

agathamorse likes this.