1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you still recommend teaching? eehat g f

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newposter, Nov 25, 2018.

1. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

When kids used to say to me that they wanted to get into teaching I used to very enthusiastic and offer any help I help I could. In the last five years particularly I have started to believe it would immoral to suggest that this idea is a good one. Are there any teachers out there who would encourage their students to pursue this?

2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I think it would be borderline irresponsible to recommend it.

All I can say is that a PGCE is a useful qualification to have, as it can open many doors to other teaching roles, or teaching abroad.

However, as the induction period will soon be changed to two full years, I would find it hard to recommend anybody putting themselves through all that Sh*te for a low paid and stressful job. It's definitely a waste of a decent degree.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Lead commenter

Stopped recommending it many years ago, even though I was (at the time) still enthusiastic. And I was the UCAS person in two schools, for years.
    Now? Never.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Nope...and have actively tried to dissuade people. One who ignored all advice..... lasted 3 weeks in a school after gaining a highly praised PGCE course.

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I've said try it, but don't expect it to be a lifelong career. Expect 5 years tops.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I have a difficulty with not recommending teaching as a career, because although the job per se is pants, if you extend your idea of "no, don't do it" as a necessary statement, then suddenly there are no more teachers.
    How do the next generation get educated?
    My own statement would be scuppering the chances of the people that I profess to want to help. I don't like the thought of that responsibility!

**chews sandwich thoughtfully**

Ach, stuff the paradox, let's get real.
    To my three children-
    "Don't go into teaching. Stuff all the lovely children of the future, it will break you, and you'll end up as ugly and disenfranchised as me, but worse, with a debt of several tens of thousands"

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The somewhat arrogant girl with the belligerent mother will soon be qualifying.;)

8. install

install Star commenter

I am always tempted show them the following:

1 The cost and time of qualifying and training (36000 pounds for 4yrs and no fulltime salary over 4 yrs) compared to the salary once through
    2 The Overtime rate of pay outside working hrs
    3 The increments compared to other graduate jobs from yr1, yr3,yr 5 etc
    4 The mobility salary compared to other jobs
    5 The amount of monitoring per week compared to other jobs (including even life saving jobs such as nursing)
    6 The price of houses compared to the yearly take home salary in graduate and other jobs.And how many years in reality it would take to get a deposit in different jobs
    7 A list if the top stressful jobs and not so stressful jobs
    8 The real pay per hr compared to other jobs
    9 The average age of those in jobs - and retention rates
    10 The salary progress of the majority of those in different graduate jobs after 5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs,.20yrs

So...'Nooooooo' don't teach - it doesn't pay the bills, it isn't respected, it isn't worth the stress, it is now a dead end and low paid job :cool:

9. a1976

a1976 New commenter

No, I would never EVER recommend teaching as a career choice to any student.

10. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

My youngest nephew (who is 15) wants to do it. I would still recommend it despite its drawbacks as it has done my personal development a lot of good and I still find it to be very rewarding despite the tough times I've had with it. I told my nephew to go in with his eyes open (as it's not easy) and to pick a decent school to work in if he does (he wants to be a secondary school teacher) as what the public believes about teachers is not what the reality is for most of us (if only I could work from 9-3 and do nothing at all outside of these hours). I stick by this advice.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  11. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

I stopped recommending students going into teaching in the 1980's. Most have gone to successful careers outside of education.

12. frankxwilliams

frankxwilliams New commenter

Fully agree with you sbkrobson, it is a conundrum.

I personally would ask any student who inquired if they wanted to do a job which had a great deal of worth but which sapped all your energy and wasn't worth it financially or a job which could set you up for enjoyment throughout your life and would give you a worthwhile income for the work put in.

mothergoose2013 and Shedman like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I would basically say NO WAY NO WAY...with this caveat. If it’s a posh and self-entitled nepotistic private school and it is one of the former students who wants to geddintoteachin’, like a sort of preppy gap yah, then it does work. The posh schools like to employ other posh people, especially in the top GSA and HMC single sex schools. If they can get an old boy or old girl with an Oxbridge degree for peanuts, that they can train and mould on the job, it is possible for a twentysometing graduate to earn pretty good money for the three years he or she has got before they too become too expensive, burnt out or both. Not ideal, though, is it? If they’d done an apprenticeship or worked with a big accountancy firm, they’d be better off and healthier. So no. Across the sectors and classes, teaching now sucks.

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Independent schools only, or perhaps abroad. Grammars if the person is very determined...

flyuplife likes this.
  15. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

I have been teaching for 15 years and am on UPS.

My nephew has been working for just over 3 years. He earns more.

Jamvic, Shedman, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not these days - no.

install and agathamorse like this.
  18. drek

drek Lead commenter

Do you say no outright or hedge......I just told my niece I wouldn’t...now that I have seen and experienced the gruesome innards of the system. She has seen the effects for herself as a matter of fact. Not much convincing needed.
    But then I also said that the dfe are implementing workload changes so maybe to try in a year or two?.....although how this will actually pan out no one knows.
    It could get worse like it did every year for the last decade!
    She is earning the same as an NQT but she has free time to go to the gym, dating, dance classes, pub quizzes....and generally lead a healthy active life outside work.
    The NQT at work? Stressed and works till 10 pm every night so that she can have some of the weekend free to herself. (Too young and naive to realise that can’t go on for too long without mental and physical consequences).
    Yes she gets more ‘holidays’.....uses some of that to finish off ‘portfolio’ work and planning and marking, and have holidays only at fixed expensive times every year.
    No job security because if their mentor or line manager finds them not upto their own personal undefined ‘standard’ then they’re out.
    Pension? Sure but how long will they actually be allowed by the system to stay and reap any of it?
    Budget shortfalls loudly being proclaimed in the media...
    What happens elsewhere? Staff redundancies announced. But not pronounced incapable thus rendering them unfit to procure work in the field they were trained for!. No harsh references after years of dedication because of being ‘different’ or has opinions that are different to their current line manager.
    In teaching...budget shortfalls are followed up by capability support processes........after which the teacher’s career may well nigh be over!
    All that hard work ‘training’ on one owns time and sometimes expense....can come to an end and for absolutely no reason!
    But it’s all ‘legal’ and the policies state the line managers are always right.......
    So I whilst I might tell the loud chatty students who can’t stop talking about themselves all lesson that one day they might make great education managers....and perhaps even global brand leaders.....
    I can’t in all honesty tell any decent hardworking polite intelligent person to become a teacher.

19. a1976

a1976 New commenter

Where I'm doing supply, we have two TAs who are so enthusiastic about getting into teaching that it just hurts them. They shrug their shoulders when told what to expect.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  20. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Lawks no. My stepdaughter earns 10 grand more than me. I've been at it nearly 20 years and I'm top of scale with now wish to go into management so basically stuck.