1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you sometimes feel part of a minority?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think I probably am and I'll tell you why.

I don't carry a phone around with me nor feel I will somehow lose out by not keeping up with whatever it is that people spend their days studying on them.

I don't do facebook or twitter, since having looked at both, I frankly don't see the point. I am happy to share anecdotes about my life when the occasion arises in conversation, but don't feel the need to give a running commentary of it to the extent I would post photos of my dinner.

I couldn't tell you the names of many celebrities, nor recognise a picture of many. I don't know whether their celebrity came from being a film star, model or member of a boy band.

I rarely watch TV, but I listen a lot to the wireless.

I refuse to pay extra just to have a designer label on my jeans, have never followed trends in fashion, prefer to wear clothes that feel comfortable and loathe the need to dress for an occasion.

I won't queue for anything that takes longer than a supermarket queue does.

Wild horses couldn't drag me in to be part of a reality TV audience and I refuse to discuss such programmes unless they are a vehicle for comedy.

I wouldn't thank my grandchildren if they asked me to take them to Disneyland or McDonalds and if they still had conscription, I'd find a way of avoiding it.

Beat that.

2. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I'm definitely in a minority group. Not a day goes past without someone commenting on my 'lovely Scottish accent' or telling me that they don't understand a word I'm saying.

In addition to that, like the OP, I don't do facebook or twitter and hate reality TV with a passion. Actually I dislike most TV.

I never had children, prefer chickens to people at times, and have two Highland Cows as pets.

Don't have a smartphone.

My cat sends emails to another cat :)

I also play an instrument that people think is unusual. Particularly for a woman.

Though, I think everyone is unique, and there will be lots of us who think we're in a minority. :)

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

DoY: I stand alongside you in the majority of what you have posted, although I occasionally watch TV, and will confess to having enthusiastically been a member of the audience at a recording of "The Apprentice: You're Fired", which I did enjoy.

Anyhow, you might be interested to know that "living phoneless" is the current social "must have"; so we're ahead of all the movers and shakers now aspiring to get to where we have been happily living all this time.

Hah!

aspensquiver_2 and Duke of York like this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've considered your minority report and, though geographically you may feel you are in that sector re your obvious quirks, you may find that those same quirks are in abundance over a wider area.

If there's something further you'd like to report it may narrow down the field.

In reporting please be succinct. Verbosity may have the detrimental effect and place you in what might be considered a majority.

Duke of York likes this.
  5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I am a free thinker. Not just a minority. But an endangered species!

Duke of York likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm American?

7. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

When my in laws promised to take my 3 children to McDonalds for lunch (unbeknownst to me) they were over the moon! When they pulled up next to one of those awful restaurants all 3 children burst into hysterical sobbing as they had been promised a visit to a farm for lunch :D:):D

Love those kids!

kibosh, InkyP, Lara mfl 05 and 3 others like this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Can't; it all seems rather normal to me.

9. Duke of York

The trouble is, Jude, even if every one of the 4 million members worldwide of this website agreed with me, it's a drop in the ocean.

People watch the inane adverts and buy the goods. If they didn't, they'd stop spending money on them. People must be responding to the canned laughter, in the programmes that use it wouldn't get watched.

If everyone put the phone down when cold callers call, told the postman to take the junk mail back to the sender, left all the unnecessary packaging in the supermarkets and refused to buy anything that is style over substance, they'd give up trying to force it to us.

It's a shame that I even feel the need to say this stuff, and the only reason I can, is that I feel there's a chance on this site, that I won't have someone calling me Victor Meldrew.

10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Sister Spirit has successfully won £490 at the small claims court, from a company who kept cold calling her. She invoiced them twice, they didn't pay (but kept calling!) She has her fingers crossed they still don't pay so she can call in the sheriffs!

I blame the fact she hasn't got a telly and is retired...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Duke of York

I tell you what, if I ever get my hands on the bloke who thought it would be a good idea to start off an advert with the bing, bleedin' bong doorbell sound that's exactly live the one we've got and sets the dog off every time the advert comes on, he'll be walking around on his elbows by the end of our discussion.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You and the dinosaurs.

13. Duke of York

Yeah. How about you try knocking on my door with your Tory Party mates to ask for my vote and see if I don't tell the dinosaurs to see you off?

I wouldn't your lot for dust.

14. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You don't vote. That's as good as voting Conservative.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I worked with computers in school from when they first appeared until a couple of years ago, but loathe any device with a small screen and/or no mouse. Mobile phones irritate me and I find all touch screens repulsive to operate - too much like writing your initials on a steamed up school bus window.

I don't do Twitter or Faecebook, nor follow others' input.

I watch very little TV and don't listen to the wireless. I've lost track of who's who in music and don't care about who's who in any of the other media. 'Reality' TV is the moral and functional equivalent of the Roman Colosseum in my humble opinion, and its audience the intellectual equivalent of the Roman mob. The Roman emperors used bread and circuses to suppress dissent, our rulers have fast food and 'reality' TV. The new opium of the masses.

If leading clothes manufacturers want to advertise their brand names on my body they can pay me for the privilege. I'm certainly not going to pay them.

I don't bother with MacDonalds but have been known to buy the occasional Burger King on the motorway. I can cope with Disneyland in the company of children as long as I deposit all critical thought in the left luggage locker for the day.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Those of us who post on Personal are part of a minority. Over 4 million members on the website and only about 100 posting here -and that's in peak hours.;)

Motherofchikkins and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1 phone - for calls and texts - the screen is so small - it's hopeless for anything else
    2 - I have both fb and twitter accounts - Facebook I check maybe once every couple of days but don't update my status - twitter I access maybe during a Test Match
    3 - celebs! ha!
    4 - dedicated to Radio 4 but watch TV in the evenings and (thanks to wife) watch episodes of ER and French films
    5 - charity shops for clothes and 2nd hand from ebay mostly
    6 - what's a queue? closest I get is traffic on the M5/6
    7 - reality TV - no
    8 - Disney and McD? - no - Disney/Pixar does some good stuff but my grandchildren and I watch David Attenborough - Frozen Planet we watched last Saturday

(Disneyland and queues go together - I went to EuroDisney on a school trip - I was paid)

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

We're a cruelly disadvantaged minority of two. Can we get compo???

19. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

You've clearly gone native.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Not 'arf, guvnor!
    [​IMG]

That's me, in the flat cap...