1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you run an after school club KS1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taji, Sep 10, 2011.

1. I work part time in a single entry school. Our after school clubs have always been run by outside people and parents pay for the children to attend. Now our head has decided that all the staff also have to run a club after school. These clubs will be free. Unsurprisingly there has been lot of interest from parents. I know that in KS2 clubs could be a bit easier with the children just getting on with things, but in KS1 won't the clubs just have to be another lesson?
    I'm feeling a bit fed up that I will have to pay an extra hour for my children to be minded while I basically provide a free lesson and child care for the children in my school.
    Does everyone do a club every week? Have I just been lucky up to now never having done one in any of the schools I've worked in?

2. I work part time in a single entry school. Our after school clubs have always been run by outside people and parents pay for the children to attend. Now our head has decided that all the staff also have to run a club after school. These clubs will be free. Unsurprisingly there has been lot of interest from parents. I know that in KS2 clubs could be a bit easier with the children just getting on with things, but in KS1 won't the clubs just have to be another lesson?
    I'm feeling a bit fed up that I will have to pay an extra hour for my children to be minded while I basically provide a free lesson and child care for the children in my school.
    Does everyone do a club every week? Have I just been lucky up to now never having done one in any of the schools I've worked in?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

All staff in my school ( teachers and TA's ) run an after school club every term, we have never had outside providers ( except for parents who also volunteer) and have never charged for any clubs.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You could run a Crest Star science club. All the planning and bits are done for you and any equipment is pretty much every day stuff.

http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/web/ccaf/CRESTStarInvestigators/

You have to pay to buy the pack to start with and I think for the awards at the end (or don't give the awards and just make your own certificates), though they might be included in the initial pack price.

Some people in our school run clubs, the HT would like more. Some paid for outside ones, also science because I arranged them, went down better than anyone told me they would.

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

All teachers at my school run clubs and some TA's. For KS1 we have a maths games club at lunchtime, a computer club at lunchtime and gardening club after school. There is also a sports breakfast club that runs before school for KS1.

6. Like the look of that Minnie.
    We run KS1 clubs and yes it does sometimes feel like it's a bit of an extra lesson. Ours last 45 mins and cost 50p per week.We restrict numbers (12 in my club) which makes it more managable and seems more fun and relaxed for me and the kids if there are only a few of us. I run a Nature Detectives Club loads of free stuff on their website or you can join for an annual fee - I've not bothered as I can always fiind enough free stuff.
    http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk/
    Sometimes the kids decide what to do, to be honest they are usually perfectly happy outside with a magnifying glass seeing what they can fiind.

7. Thanks - I like the science and naturedectives ideas and will suggest those for next term.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nature detectives does look good. I might do that in the summer term...not going outside in the winter!

Crest science is sooo easy and I did a mixed KS1 (4 rec, 4 yr1 and 4 yr2 children) club. I also had 4 year 6 helpers, so I didn't have to do much setting up or tidying. Just got the stuff ready in a tray before school in the morning. They set it up while I did stickers and register. They cleared up when I did stickers at the end. And I had a waiting list of helpers.

9. I do Y2 recorders, which as you say is much like an extra lesson, but my collegue does Scrabble club with KS1 - playing Junior Scrabble. Once they've got the hang of it, it is a very easy one to run! I have done Eco club too which was fun - nature and gardening stuff plus eco-schools bits and bobs.
    I have seen ads for a film club which looks very easy (google it)- never tried it but imagine you could do some marking while the film was on haha!
    I think it is normal to be "strongly encouraged" to run a club, certainly in all the schools I have worked in.