1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you remember...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bed, Mar 26, 2011.

1. bed

bed New commenter

.... when you were at school - having those lovely comprehension cards - text on one side and questions on the other - which got harder as you went along?
    And now we all know about Bloom's Taxonomy we realise the questions followed that pattern...
    Does such a resource still exist?
    And if it does - where can I get some?
    I ask becuase I'm taking over a class (a very difficult class) next term that really need lots of comprehension support.
    And I'd like to buy these rather than have to write my own.
    Any help will be HUGELY appreciated.
    Thanks
    bed

2. bed

bed New commenter

.... when you were at school - having those lovely comprehension cards - text on one side and questions on the other - which got harder as you went along?
    And now we all know about Bloom's Taxonomy we realise the questions followed that pattern...
    Does such a resource still exist?
    And if it does - where can I get some?
    I ask becuase I'm taking over a class (a very difficult class) next term that really need lots of comprehension support.
    And I'd like to buy these rather than have to write my own.
    Any help will be HUGELY appreciated.
    Thanks
    bed

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Do you mean SRA cards? We had those and loved doing them (I can't imagine why) but at my useless school we could choose to do any we liked, so we tended the choose the easy ones, and we also helped ourselves to the answer cards, before, during, or after we'd finished!

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Oh wow, I do remember those! I was desperate to progress through to Silver, Gold, and whatever the top one was (platinum?) I loved them! Haven't seen them for years - sorry!

5. bed

bed New commenter

They could be the ones!
    some werre picture prompts - some text.
    All different levels.
    Of course I would be a bit more controlled with the answer cards and with the differentiation of task - but I was such a good girl I didn't look at the answers until I'd done the card!
    Really!

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I loved those too. My school was quite strict about making you do them in the right order, and I loved it whenever I got moved onto a higher colour.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

8. I, too, loved these and worked through them at a rapid rate of knots. I vividly remember one about yawning and how it was 'contagious'. Similarly, I loved the old Scottish Maths as a child as we were able to work through those at a pace that suited us.
    I imagine they were a bit of a nightmare to administer and mark though, I know when I am marking pieces of work from a group that worked on the same thing it is quicker. Marking completely different pieces of work for a class of 29 sounds daunting.
    I've seen something like this in the hope education catalogue.