1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you remember your advice about LOs a while ago...more help needed.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LGR22, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Your LO should be a skill, knowledge or understanding.
    You want them to use exciting vocabulary. The context for your Learning Objective is a riddle. If your learning objective is to write a riddle, the skills of using vocabulary is closed only to be used in that context. If it is a skill learning objective, you want them to use that skill in other genre.
    What sort of vocabulary do they need to be able to write a riddle? Can it be transfered into other genre? If so, then your learning objective is to use exciting vocabulary.
    It is important to get the learning objective right, otherwise your lesson turns into an activity with a product at the end of it, and the learning is second to all that.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree completely LGR22 and I understand. I really do, but I'm not certain my school does and they get to judge.

The children are actually learning what the heck a riddle is and how to write one in this lesson...I know it is the task and the outcome, but it is a process they are learning how to do. This is the point that is giving me hassle.

Also a few weeks back a colleague was slated for having 'using adjectives' as her LO, being told it wasn't 'tight enough', hence me trying to make mine more specific.

Maybe I'll just have 'use exciting and appropriate vocabulary' as the WALT and then put 'riddle' in brackets or something.