1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you really need to know what young people think of adults?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AndyJakarta, Oct 11, 2016.

1. AndyJakarta

AndyJakarta New commenter

How old is old?
    When is midlife?
    How do you know if someone is older than you?
    Does it matter?

As the life course has seen significant changes, and there is greater life expectancy, young people will have to work with diverse range of ages in the future. Do young people have perceptions of various stages of life and why? What are the implications of this? how will this impact their own life course and outcomes?

As part of my dissertation research (to be undertaken 2016-17) I hope to find teachers who can collaborate with their pupils to explore attitudes towards different ages across the life course. This research will not only support our understanding of stereotypes, but enable those working with young people to be aware of potential generational barriers.

The aim of my research is to investigate young people’s perceptions and stereotypes of ageing across the life course.
    The research will be mixed methods with the first stage being conducted via an online questionnaire and the second stage being focus groups of university students. The intended research will be undertaken via a web based survey, and could link to your school curriculum. All due ethical considerations will be addressed for teachers/schools who are interested. I am willing to adapt the questionnaire to support the pupil's needs, requirements and interests.

Design, aims and use can be provided in discussion if you feel that this is something you would like to collaborate on.

I have attached a link to a very short survey for those who would like to register their interest or find out more information: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PBJCQWF

thanks,

Andy

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My class certainly do have preconceived ideas, but those ideas will change long before the children reach the workplace.

My class are 7 years old... they believe 30 is an age to retire and 50 is nearly dead!
    Not sure many primary classes will be much more help for you.

3. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

We're researching WWII at the moment and mine (yr 6) asked me if I'd had to hide in an Anderson shelter during the bombing! Think I might need to invest in anti wrinkle cream.