1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you read every job application ?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by ff392, Apr 25, 2010.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Newbie I think it depends on the job and location. If it is in an area that gets lots of applications and advertises as "NQT" welcome to apply, then expect lots of applications. In this situation I dont believe a school would expect a visit or phone call not just because of the sheer numbers but because they will be expecting poor students who physically are unable to visit. My first job interview was like yours and I think this should be how every interview should be done as this seems the best compromise. For a job in SMT or for experienced teachers, then I guess you would be expected to at least phone. Depends on the pack though as you say. Having worked in a **** school for a **** head I personally would want to visit if there was no opportunity on the day, as I now work in a lovely school and wouldnt want to regret the decision to leave. Also at my time in life the next move is likely to be one of if not the last I make.

2. I am currently applying for jobs and have not had much luck with shortlisting, even though I have followed all the advice on getting shortlisted! I seriously think that the problem is that I am disabled and have to walk on crutches. I know that no head here is going to be brave enough and stand up and say ... I would be worried about you having time off/not being able to accomplish certain tasks etc but I would be interested to know some of your thoughts if you would like to share them.

I have only been teaching for three years and I really struggled to find a job when I qualified. I was lucky to end up on long term supply at a school who saw that I was a good teacher and offered me a years contract for the following year (school budget wouldn't allow me to stay longer.) During the two years that I spent at the school, I did not have one day off sick or for hospital appointments etc, when all my colleagues did. I received excellent feedback when MIT were in and the lesson I taught for ofsted observation was specifically mentioned in their report as an example of the best teaching and learning.

I am not one at all to use the disability discrimination card but I am seriously starting to wonder if when I am honest in that little box on my application forms, I am condemning it to the trash pile

3. Kymtendo, it sounds as though you are an excellent teacher who would benefit any school. I hope you are successful in your job hunt soon!
    I've been reading this thread with amusement, having just gone through the round of applications and interviews myself (as an applicant). I thought I'd share an experience about a job I didn't apply for. A job came up in a school in the perfect area for me, but I needed to clarify some of the application details. I sent an email expressing my desire to apply and asking a couple of specific questions which I needed answering before I could apply. I got a generic email in return, thanking me for my application. I thought that perhaps it had been an automatic email, and assumed the email hadn't been read. I replied, writing FAO the person who had written the generic email in the subject heading. I explained that there had been a misunderstanding and I repeated my previous requests. I received an email informing me that my email had already been answered, proving that, for a second time, the actually body of my email had not been read.
    I decided not to apply to a school with such shoddy communication skills. They were nice enough, however, to write a month later to thank me again for my application and inform me that I had been unsuccessful.

4. The actual body, even.

5. And what about the schools (and I have to say all of those I have applied to) who cannot be bothered to send even a generic e mail to applicants who are not successful? Hours of work go into applying for a job, writing a personal statement and visiting a school. For all the effort that the majority of applicants put in, surely it is not too much to expect some kind of response in these days of advanced technology.

6. Hear, hear!
    I actually cherish those rejection letters which say something encouraging such as '.....not being selected should not be seen as a criticism of your application.' In spite of being a rejection, I felt quite chipper for many days, I was just so delighted to get a reply, any reply. As you say, even an email would do.
    Good luck with your hunt Firefairy.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

8. Making coffee for the Head? I should be so lucky! And I find time to send sorry emails while the kettle boils!

As I have said before - apply to Cambridgeshire. Deputy Headship recently - 7 applications! Rarely get more than 20. This IS the place to apply!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just curious.
    If you get only 7 applications . . . do you find the quality of candidates is higher, lower, or the same as when you get *a lot* (by your standards), say 20 or so?

10. As a primary head, and looking for mistakes in applications, perhaps you should pay attention to your own spelling as evidenced in the spelling of brochure (broucheres).

I find it interesting that Head Teachers have such high expectations of teachers, and yet many don't have the same high expectations of themselves. Many forget where they came from. In my experience I find that a lot (not all of course) of administrators (as we call them here in Canada) are far from expert teachers, and many I sense weren't exemplary educators themselves and move into a position where they are telling us what to do, when very few of them know what they are doing themselves.

11. In the last 3 teacher interviews I have had, I had no less than 60 applications and one had over 100 applications.

12. Yes, it is an awful situation to be in - applying for jobs and not hearing a thing back. WE spend hours and hours of effort. I think it is disrespectful not to send a reply. A generic e-mail would take no time. It's common courtesy! By the way I am a NQT on pay scale M4 (1 term of induction completed) - would any heads out there consider an application from someone in my position?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No.
    An e-mail to one person would take perhaps 2 or 3 minutes, including looking up the e-mail address in the application and then typing it in.
    But multiply that by 100, or 200, or more.
    I am afraid that it is not possible unless the school has a very small number of applicants.
    I am sorry if this seems discourteous, but that's the situation.
    Job Applications - no reply

14. Don't be silly, there's no reason to start personal attacks. I have two particular groups with such extreme needs that it took me weeks, months even, to get to grips with them. There's no way even teacher of the decade could "get" them in one or two days of supply if they happen to have that group. It's odd that as (presumably) a headteacher you are unaware that such groups exist and that supply teachers, no matter how good, are detrimental to the group. Not just to their learning, but discipline is very important with the group.

In any case, I suspect that a school that takes the offensive because a teacher cares about their current pupils is not a place that many would want to work, and perhaps does not get the best applicants for that very reason.

I don't think the expectations are quite so odd for secondary. Out of all the people I know who got jobs this year, none of them contacted the school other than in their application. One friend took time off for a pre-visit and didn't get the job, though.

15. No.
    Feeble excuse.
    Allocate the time.
    Use the technology.
    You only have to compose one email, then type in 100 email addresses and click 'send.'
    No addresses to type, no signature blocks to sign or have 'ppd' by a secretary, no paper to fold, no envelopes to stuff, no stamps to lick, no mail to take to post office, like I say...no excuse.
    We are the grown-ups and educators and, therefore, we have a responsibility to model the manners and respect for others which we want the next generation to develop.

16. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Typing in a hundred addresses and sending them off - hmm. I do try and respond to most applicants with a direct e-mail, but I often just don't have the time. "If you have not heard by the deadline then you have not been successful" sounds fair enough. This is both from a HT and a candidate perspective btw.

17. You missed out "go through 100 application forms to find 100 email addresses, check you have spelled I_am_hot25@hotmail.com etc correctly with lines, dashes, cases correct" which would take minimum of 100 minutes in my estimation. Best part of 2 hours of someone's time well spent? I don't think so.
    Indeed we are but we are also busy people. For those schools who get these large numbers of applications, the "if you have not heard by" is quite acceptable and clear.

18. I'm happy with schools to put the "if you haven't heard by..." message as that gives me a cut off date to stop obsessing about a job. However, many schools still don't even do that leading to guesswork (which makes me obsess even more).

19. What about the 5 or so hours spent completing each application? I still think an e-mail would be nice (at the very least) - but who am I to say being a mere, unemployed, hardworking, deidicated NQT!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaargh!

20. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

It must be confusing being both hard working and unemployed

sorry