1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you read chapter books to year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jul 8, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In storytime, at the start of the year, do you just read picture books to year 1, or chapter books as well?

Are they able to remember what happened the day before in a longer book that goes over a few days? Or is it better to have a start and finish on one day?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In storytime, at the start of the year, do you just read picture books to year 1, or chapter books as well?

Are they able to remember what happened the day before in a longer book that goes over a few days? Or is it better to have a start and finish on one day?

3. I'd do a combo of both, like I do in Year 2. I would go for a short chapter book rather than a big one, but think it is really good to help develop their imagination (imagining the characters rather than seeing all the info) and their concentration. They are pretty good, or can get pretty good, at remembering the story.
    I will miss talking Year 2 stuff through with you Minnie!

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

yes. lion, witch and wardrobe atm.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know, I'll miss all the year 2 chatter on here as well. And the help from people like you who know what they are doing.

I don't know if it is just that I don't tend to read the threads specific to other years, but I've not noticed anything like as many threads for year 1. I've really enjoyed and appreciated lots of help from lots of year 2 teachers this year, and finding out all the different things people do. I hope that lots of year 1 teachers come out of the woodwork and help me just as much next year...if not I'm stuffed!

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe? WOW! Wonder if I have time to get through that with my year 2 by the end of term...Probably will stick with James and the Giant Peach, my plan for the fortnight.

Short chapter books? So Winnie the Witch and the like? Any ideas for good classic novels to start off with? I do like to read books that children wouldn't otherwise read.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm planning on starting with shorter books and building up

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Y1!
    Cripes!

8. My favourite book when I was little was Lotta. It is quite short, but I loved it as it was funny.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lotta-Says-NO-Astrid-Lindgren/dp/0192727192/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341776571&sr=8-1
    What about Fantastic Mr Fox? They could watch the film after, as it is charming. I love George's Marvellous Medicine for reading aloud, but it is a bit longer.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was thinking about Fantastic Mr Fox, the whole school are using an extract/summary for storytelling in September, so it should work. Is the film a U?

Glad to hear year 1 can manage Roald Dahl...

Posting links to amazon products is just cruel!

10. I'm impressed.Tell us more. For example, how much of the novel do you read in one sitting? Are the children familiar with hearing novels like this, or is it an experiment? Are they enjoying it?
    I read the first three Harry Potter novels to my son at bedtimes when he was about six, and I think it played an important part in extending his vocabulary.

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

good lord, it was read to me at that age! they're enjoying it
    hugely, and it's tying in nicely with the fantasy work we're doing. YR
    are fascinated, too. i don't think we give them enough credit.
    someone
    on here disagreed with my doing Jabberwocky with such young children.
    we did a 2 week block on it, and they LOVED it. were really engaged, did
    some fantastic writing, and still talk about it. (plus the term
    'nonsense words' was more than familiar to them well before we got the
    phonics check stuff!)

12. I had assumed it was as I can't imagine what would be in it to make it a PG, but it is a PG on checking. I get frustrated as there are lots of film extracts I would like to use, but can't because they are from PG films. Ah well. Sorry.

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I try to avoid anything with a current popular DVD

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I should have been clear - I'm not intending to criticise. Rather that I'm impressed.
    Given Lewis' rather rich prose, I genuinely think that the Chronicles of Narnia books would be beyond the average 6 year old.
    It might be symptomatic of our intake but most of our Year 1s would find them immensely challenging.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ours would as well, but is that a reason to read it or a reason not to?

I don't know the answer exactly. I do think the books I read to the class should be ones they cannot read themselves generally speaking. In that way they are exposed to a higher level of literature than they otherwise would be. But at the same time I do want them to be able to engage with the story and get something from it.

16. What limits their ability to enjoy novels such as this?

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I completely agree but I think there is such a thing as too high a level for certain age. I would maybe take it on with Y3 but not Y1. I think it's too deep and complex and the allegory would pass them by. Of course, that's not a reason in itself not to cover it but I think I'd waituntil they were older. Unless I had emilystrange's kids, of course.

18. I would think if you had a class with limited vocabulary, you might find yourself stopping every two minutes to explain the meaning of things.
    I try to pitch things somewhere between. My lad (5) will happily listen to many of his sister's bedtime stories, such as Adolphus Tips or The Moomins,both of which have vocab which he occasionally doesn't know, but he doesn't enjoy the current one (Lion Boy) which has very complex language structure and advanced vocab. I think he would cope with (and enjoy) LWW though.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with you as well. I think I'll wait and get to know my class a bit first and then see. This time next year, they might be ready for it.

Has anyone read these to year 1? My year 2 love them, as did years 5 and 6.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Shakespeare-Stories-Book-%C2%A363-84/dp/1408313057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341783155&sr=8-1