1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you read and believe political propaganda?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Nov 22, 2019.

?

Do you read and believe political propaganda?

1. Yes, I seek it out it's amusing and reinforces my existing views.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, unless I access it accidentally I don't seek it out for any reason and avoid spreading it.

93.8%
  3. Yes I want to spread the propaganda and use it as a tool to reinforce my view and influence others.

6.3%
  4. Other details below...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That is obvious from the poll results... I'm using the poll to ask the question, is that a problem for you?

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No, it isn't.

They're completely different,

3. needabreak

It's not my job to monitor your posts. What makes you think I would disagree with your intentions? I'm not in your head. I simply asked what the intentions are and to get back to my original point keeping the context I was asking about peoples intentions when posting external links to one sided political views. This isn't all about you.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  4. needabreak

Indeed but as I said this isn't about my shopping habits where we make decisions based on our requirements and the products that best fit them... Well that's what we hope to do if we aren't using asymmetric information when buying our used car.

5. needabreak

I agree. I limit my use of social media due to the white noise of people's view on everything... The memes the quotes the misquote the virtue signalling, the sales veiled as ways to change your life or help you... the fact we are all right and want to tell everyone... I guess that's why I was not a fan of opinion.

I am however interested in peoples motivation to post external "political news/propaganda " links as OP here.

Is it to inform, influence, pass the time of day?

border_walker likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Probably just to back up your own view/propaganda. I do it all the time.

The only way I do feel it is necessary to be fair then though, is to read the links of my opponent's doing the same.

But how we deal with the views we all have about what links are more equal than others, I do not know.

The only amusing thing here is there was a time quoting the DM on here would have me called racist and thick to believe such a scandal paper, yet now I find links to the DM being sent to me by the same people as it is now deemed more pro EU under its new editor....

border_walker likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Summoned...the Friday Pedant.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. needabreak

Thanks for that response its really interesting and I don't doubt your intentions.

I guess if that's we are all doing, we read others to see if we can be more informed then if we aren't convinced or know of information that will be the counterbalance we then post it... It appears we rarely change our minds.

So to summarise links are often posted to inform and reinforce our views not to overtly persuade. Have I got that right? Guess there will be other posters with different reasons for posting them it would be interesting to compare why we use external political links as OP.

Jamvic and border_walker like this.
  9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Some of our most prolific posters of political links and verbatim articles have not contributed thus far. Perhaps later, eh? I would certainly be interested in hearing their reasons for posting what they do.

needabreak likes this.
  10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I think you'll find it's compulsory to pronounce it "Daily Fail" in these parts.

Kandahar likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What if everything we read or hear presented as "news" is just propaganda? what if nothing makes it into any paper or onto any news show unless some rich guy with an agenda wants it to be there? I mean, its not like we lack evidence that this is so.
    Maybe we should, as much as we can, do our own research and reach our own conclusions and not just accept what's shoved down our throats by powerful interests? But that's hard - because most of the time we don't want fair and balanced "news" - we want thinly disguised advocacy and opinion that supports our pre-existing assumptions and biases.

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Dunno if you're referring to me here, but I post articles and links because I am interested in other people's take on them, and I learn from the ensuing discussion. Obviously I tend to post articles that reflect my left-leaning bias, but that doesn't mean I agree with the whole article, and it's instructive to see how and why other people disagree.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Some of it has always been as crude as that; it is no new phenomena that most newspapers report according to their organisational prejudices. The issue today is more subtle and more serious and involves the lack of genuine reportage altogether. Many news organisations have shed reporters and editorial in favour of 'content' staff who scrape 'trending' social media stories without any real checking at all. The potential for mischief is massive and it is no surprise that it is widely exploited. The reading of far too many 'news' stories is depressing in the shallowness of social media quotes from unverified sources. TV news is fast moving the same way.

Jamvic, artboyusa and needabreak like this.
  14. needabreak

Does that mean you post with the intention of finding out what others here think about the articles that are presented using your "left leaning bias"?

I have noticed that some media have a comments section at the end of an article, do you use them and is that useful to see what others outside TES think or out of interest do you only want the views of those associated with education who post here, and if the latter having posted here so long do you think that posters here might reflect a particular bias? (that last question might appear loaded but I'm trying to establish if you think we are already indoctrinated with our views and whether the responses are fairly predictable and if so whether that makes posting the links a moot action).

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Have you noticed the uniformity of language and viewpoint when "news" orgs describes events? The way they treat Trump is only the most extreme example.

The groupthink, the timidity and the fear of breaking ranks is exceptional, even for a group made up (mostly) of pretty average people.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Good questions all.
    Yes, I read the comments after the articles but don't add to them - most of them tend to be knee-jerk reactions but sometimes there's a thoughtful contribution - however they tend not to morph into the sort of discussion one gets on here.
    Yes, I am interested in the views of those associated with education as they tend to be better educated and more capable of joined-up critical thinking... one would hope at any rate... and therefore probably a better bet for sensible discussion than what you would get, say, in the local Wetherspoons. And being able to think critically, one would hope there's less indoctrination evident than there is willingness to explore alternative views.
    Yes obviously we all have our own bias and that is frequently reflected in responses on here, and at the same time I have noticed some posters who have - if not changed their bias - shown that they are accommodating more of the 'other side' perspective in their own discussions or responses.
    Sometimes (as already confessed here) I post something to see what the reaction is - like poking a nest full of ants. Sometimes the responses are predictable (very, in some cases) and at other times they are enlightening as they introduce ideas or perspectives with which I am not familiar.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. needabreak

Oops isn't wetherspoons where people on a low income can be fed and watered for not a lot of money and you can refill their coffee cup all day and stay warm... (a homeless friend reassures me of this) Perhaps it's precisely where the middle classed Labour Party need to go to find out what real poor people actually think rather than assuming they know what they want... It might influence the polls... I expect JC to be visiting Wetherspoons around the country in the next few weeks but he'd have had to do it prior to launching the manifesto to make a real difference... sorry I digress but see your points.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Or to correct /contradict the prevailing orthodoxy of opinions that are often little more than repeated abuse or opinion dressed as fact. The motivation for the latter seems linked to acquisition of status which is highly reinforcing in peer groups.

needabreak likes this.
  19. needabreak

Peer groups? Here?

20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I assume all of it is unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary.