1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you read and believe political propaganda?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Nov 22, 2019.

?

Do you read and believe political propaganda?

1. Yes, I seek it out it's amusing and reinforces my existing views.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, unless I access it accidentally I don't seek it out for any reason and avoid spreading it.

93.8%
  3. Yes I want to spread the propaganda and use it as a tool to reinforce my view and influence others.

6.3%
  4. Other details below...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Reading some recent posts highlighting/spreading such articles I wondered if they are meant to be meaningful effective propaganda or simply amusing to those who concur with and spread or repost their message.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2019-11-22_11-47-55.png

needabreak likes this.
  3. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

How do you identify what is political propaganda?

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I have no interest in political propaganda but I must admit I get annoyed when some commenters on here seem to do nothing but post rehashed propaganda. I am happy to swap opinions but don't want to read endless articles culled from various websites that reinforce or support the political leanings of the commenter in question. Sick of it.

needabreak likes this.
  5. needabreak

I'd go with Richard Alan Nelson for the most part, though when one side openly slates the other with a single viewpoint it is often quite apparent... So briefly no counterbalance seriously considered... No Atticus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

Interestingly in high mark questions in my subjects and possibly others we teach that considered opinions are most useful so key points, counterbalance, recommendation with justification... Yet apparently intelligent qualified and often more experienced adults fail to develop their views in any meaningful way thus appearing to be propagandists.

How would you define it?

Edit

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Quite. I suspect the answer to the question is that we all read it whether we realise that is what it is when we start or not, and mainly think we can identify it as propaganda, but sometimes are taken in and believe what is either a lie or a highly twisted representation of a very sneakily presented "fact", where the fact itself is about 5% of the message.

As a rule of thumb I've always treated with the highest suspicions anytime percentages are presented as facts. They are frequently used to cover up all manner of statistically irrelevant and meaningless twaddle. Even more so than when you get a politician (or anyone) saying things like "Do you accept it is a 50% increase?" to try and put the words of the false or trivial fact into someone else's mouth.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. needabreak

That may be your response but it isn't mine, you can read mine above.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

One person's "political propaganda" is another person "highly informative and eye-opening read".

Look at the people who from one side of their mouth condemn Donald Trump for his "scurrilous attackson the mainstream media" and then from the other side dismiss not-proLabour papers as "the lying Tory press".

The folks who think a Guardian or Independent link is 100% reliable but will jump on a Daily Mail or Times link just for being from those papers...

Kandahar and artboyusa like this.
  9. needabreak

So it would appear from the poll thus far, no one identifies themselves as reading and spreading it but clearly others here would disagree since we read the one sided views slating the opposition whether true or false and identity it as a form of attempted indoctrination, though in reality I doubt it ever persuades people to change their established views because by definition it isn't a well balanced proposition thus appeals to reinforce rather than change views of others who might disagree, only possibly appealing to those who might not already have established views.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. Mangleworzle

I suppose you're not taken in by any form of advertising either and can spot all and any lies at a hundred paces.

Of course presenting it that only "lefties" could be taken could be construed as itself propaganda.

coffeekid and monicabilongame like this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This one always reminds me of how people reacted to the David Brent character in 'The Office'.

Most say 'man, I know (or knew) someone exactly like him at my workplace'.

When no, the truth is we are ALL - myself too - David Brent. Nothing to do with 'other' people.

If you still have not got that, then what I am saying is simply admit you are indeed prejudiced and biased. I am, you are....and as Brent says 'sue me'. :p

Mangleworzle likes this.
  12. needabreak

You're right I'm not often taken in awareness is key, I have worked in various posts before teaching and try to keep up to date with and provide critiques of the many persuasive sales techniques being used and developed, I'm a born sceptic so can avoid them like many other people... I've said before I'm no sheep, balance in all things.

I don't do other social media so that helps.

My point however isn't about my shopping habits it's about our propensity to spread one sided and poorly argued views we have seen online. I will post a link to examples if needed but they are on these threads so by reposting I'd adding to the problem... Links to political websites pretending claiming to be their political opponents are but one example.

13. needabreak

Of course the poll could have asked 'are you an influencer' with no doubt similar results... the point is to make people think about reposting links... and help inform me as to why they do it... I often wonder what the motivation is to do so... If its persuasion it doesn't appear to be working... If its boredom and filling time I can understand we all do that.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What would Goebbels have said?

Of course people believe it. You might not, and I might not, but enough clearly do.

There's a difference between putting a positive spin on things and outright lying, the latter of which the Conservative Party have now embraced.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why put lefties in quotes when I didn't use that term?

And I named both the Mail and the Guardian... so that would be a strawman argument... a common tool used by those versed in propaganda.

Kandahar and Oscillatingass like this.
  16. needabreak

So when you post external links here as an OP what's your objective?

My OP refers to posters posting here on TES.

17. Mangleworzle

It was a reference to the propaganda bias of your examples.

18. Mangleworzle

Which is what everyone thinks about themselves.

19. Scintillant

To provide some evidence for any point I make.

Can you provide an example of me doing so in a way you consider to be different from that?

20. Scintillant

Everyone thinks they have the right amount of common sense.

Mangleworzle likes this.