1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you pronounce ln(x) as log(x) or lun(x)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by briancant, Mar 9, 2020.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Totally silly question really but I've always read ln as log as it is just log to the base e. All my A level students pronounce it 'lun' as that is what their teachers say. It's many years since I got my degree in maths but I'm sure we just called natural log, log! Am I wrong? I know a bit like Trigger once you get used to calling something by the wrong name it is hard to stop.

Is ln(x) read as log x or lun x?

2. pi r squared

pi r squared Occasional commenter

I tend to say "natural log of x" (as I would usually associate "log" without a qualifier as log base 10) but if I need to abbreviate then I always say "L.N. of x". I don't think I've ever said "lun" and I don't recall anybody else I know using "lun" either - maybe it's a regional thing?

3. DM

DM New commenter

I was taught and say El En most of the time and use log with those who are likely to go on to study mathematics at a good university. Have never said lun but am aware that this is a thing.

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I wouldn't say log as, at A level, this is normally taken to mean log to base 10. Most of my students seem to say lun so I go along with that to avoid confusion.

5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Lynne...

Always works for me...

Joki81 likes this.
  6. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

I've always used El-En for natural logs since I was a student back in the 70s. My current A-level students seem to prefer "lin".