1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you play music in the maths classroom?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by griffin63, Apr 9, 2010.

1. I'm with you on all these except Beethoven. Careful with his music as much is emotionally temperemental and larger range of dynamics.
    By the way thank you everyone for all these comments. I shall do s meta analysis of sorts and post something encapsulating the group expertise along with my experience.[​IMG]
    Michael
    www.musiceducationworld.com

2. With you on the Beethoven. To be safe I'd stick with the piano stuff - I have 1 CD, can't remember what's on it but it fits the requirements nicely. Would never use any orchestral.

3. Thanks for all the responses. I have some guidelines on choosing background music for the classroom here: http://db.tt/qk12XWBU

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I missed this thread the first time around. I quite like music in the classroom. I sometimes set ABBA quizzes, this is 12 quick questions that I project on the screen. Then I challenge them to finish all of them whilst I play a random track from Abba Gold.
    It's good fun and I love watching the kids dancing in their seats as they rush to answer as many q's a poss.

On a different note, a colleague of mine used to play the local radio station while her pupils were working. On one occasion she texted the DJ (a friend of hers) and had a request read out for '9G who are working really hard on their maths right now'. It's stuff like that that makes kids happy to be in the classroom.

5. Hi Mike

Just spotted this. Thought you might be interested in some of my articles on using music in the classroom marcuscherrill.wordpress.com - there's also a new group on here called Music in the classroom - hope youre trying a few things and having success.

Marcus

6. Hi Ilse - try some of these on I Can Teach in the Chill Out and Brain Food sections.

Good luck1

7. taniadar

taniadar New commenter

There are many Concentration Music: Study Music, Focus Music, Exam Music, Calming Music etc with duration of many hours on youtube which could be tried.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Marcus, let us know when you have significant evidence that whatever it is you're selling has produced extraordinary whole-school improvements in Causeway's results.