1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you play music in the maths classroom?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by griffin63, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

The truncated icosahedron = football thing fits very well with my campaign to rename the 'Aerobie' "the flying torus".

2. DM

DM New commenter

[​IMG]

Flying tortoise ???

3. DM

DM New commenter

[​IMG]
    Two gags for the price of one there.

4. DM

DM New commenter

[​IMG]
    It's a book too!

5. Are you bored DM?

6. DM

DM New commenter

H.G. Wells said "There comes a moment in the day when you have written your pages in the morning, attended to your correspondence in the afternoon, and have nothing further to do. Then comes the hour when you are bored; that's the time for sex."
    Be afraid Anthony, be very afraid.

7. It's a good job I'm a) in yorkshire and b) more importantly sat down ;)

8. Getting back to where we started. I like to alternate for tuition. One day it's Mozart or Vivaldi or Bach (for those who worry about volume varying with classical music, that's mainly a 19th century problem, though some Beethoven or Chopin piano stuff is OK) the next day it's Dave Brubeck or similar jazz.
    Only one rule. Never, never, never any vocals, instrumental only.

9. DM

DM New commenter

Bad news - the Flying Torus has been grounded by the Icelandic dust.

10. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Do you tell the pupils what they are listening to? In my local HMV they put the CD case of whatever is playing up on a stand so everyone can see.

11. I don't. Sometimes they ask because they liked last week's better than this or vice versa. That puts me on the spot, I often have no idea what they last heard.

12. Yes I Play music in most of my lessons especially if students are going to undertake an extended task.
    I am new to teaching but made the decision before taking up my post that I would use Music to create a positive, calm atmosphere. I had not thought of the connections between music and Maths, just about creating a suitable learning environment.
    It has worked too. It took about 2 weeks for the sniggering and rolling of eyes to stop when actual music was played not rap.I have added movie soundtracks that I myself find calming including Gladiator ( but not at 9am), A Single Man, Schindlers List, Defiance to name a few.
    There is no doubt that the students in my class are working effectively and calmly. The best complement I got from a colleague this year was when she came into my room mid lesson to ask for something and she just stood and said 'WOW - This is lovely'.
    So I would advise you to use music - it makes the teaching and learning environment a more positive place.

13. A lot of slow Baroque pieces are ideal - e.g. Pachelbel Canon in D, Bach Air on a G string etc etc. There are loads of classical relaxation CDs especially from certain more commercial classical radio stations.
    Also try Renaissance vocal polyphony (Palestrina, Victoria, Byrd, des Pres and so on) for a lovely still atmosphere, with a relatively even dynamic range.
    A Bulgarian education programme in the 80s called 'Superlearning' used techniques whereby they played Baroque concerto slow movements in class, softly (all around 60bpm - a tempo said to induce the production of 'alpha' brain waves and sometimes a trance like state) and taught a lesson using a range of vocal delivery, emphasis, pace etc and the students' retention rates were awesome. Worked especially well for languages apparently.

14. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

I got angry once and put some Chris de Burgh music on. I told them that if they didn't finish the work set I would play it again next lesson as well. Worked a treat!

15. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Of course, algebra has a similar catatonic effect for many pupils even without music...

16. DM

DM New commenter

This bunny was exposed to a combination of Chris De Burgh and algebra.
    [​IMG]

17. Hi, why don't you look into http://www.mozarteffect.com/ ?
    I have used music, not as often as I'd like though. I asked the head of music to put together a cd for me as background music for maths lessons (he chose mainly Bach) and occasionally I bring stuff like The Essential Mozart, Faure... The pupils were initially surprised and had wise cracking comments (as it's all classical) but once settled they really enjoyed the experience. I also offered the kids to bring in their own music but they had to get an ok from the head of music first. Though the response was keen no one as yet brought in any music.

18. dm u missed this one....

19. lauren155

lauren155 New commenter

I think there is a time and place for music. I use it to support routine, mission impossible for tidy up, countdown for timed activity. I use classical for silent/independent writing in english.
    In maths I use a variery or music as teaching tools. Maths raps (beam) are great and boys really respond to them. I also use Dave Godfrey xtables songs.
    All my music is to indicate a type of behaviour expected, to set an atmosphere or as a teaching tool. Don't know if this is they type of thing you wanted to know!

20. The real Mozart effect, in the experimental situation, was simply a stastical blip in the performance of 'college age' students which lasted for 10 minutes following the exposure. No actual scientific work has been done on school-age students or infants.
    I find that any non-vocal music of that period and a bit before and after has a beneficial effect. Mozart is just the best-known name among the composers in that group. One effect is simply the 'white noise 'dampening external noise and internal shuffling and so on. The other seems to be related to the rhythmical and cyclic conventions,especially the absence of much of the 19th century's overheated emotional impact.
    It smooths and soothes the emotional and intellectual climate of the area without intruding overly much. It certainly doesn't inhibit or override ordinary conversational tones in discussions and so on. And it doesn't have that schmaltzy, irritating Muzak effect.
    Mozart, Bach, some Handel, Pachelbel, some Beethoven, Vivaldi would be a good start.