1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you play music in the maths classroom?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by griffin63, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Hi -what are your thoughts on playing background music in class? Does anyone have strong opinions either way, and if you do use music, what do you play? Do you think it can improve class atmosphere, productivity or creativity? Do you think there's any usefulll connection between music and maths?
    Does anyone's school have a policy on using music in class?
    Lots of questions! But very interested and want to improve my knowledge on this. Any direction,articles etc much appreciated.[​IMG]
    Mike

2. I do. I have my iPod and I choose what to play! Never ever EVER are they allowed to play their iPods!
    Sometimes it is classical, sometimes it is not.
    It works for me but I know others will frown upon it!
    I find that they are happy to work in silence when it isn't actually silent (as the music is on)

3. mgc

mgc

Frequently play Mozart for the Mind. Not sure why but popular with bottom set Yr 10.

4. Thinking of the link between Maths and Music, I took my Yr 10s to a really good talk called 'Numbers and Rumbas' a couple of years ago. I think it was Rob Eastaway doing it

5. DM

DM New commenter

I usually sing the Quadratic Formula song to a dubious audience a couple of time each year.

6. I never plucked up the courage to play tracks from
    Bob Dylan's 'Highway 66(6) Revisited' when the
    beastly number cropped up - it often did in my lessons!
    I think the kids would have been bemused, but the
    teachers in neighbouring rooms would surely have
    complained - wrong generation.

7. There is an unofficial school policy in our school: no music except some types of classical music - it's not a written policy, but every so often one of the deputies reminds us of the policy (this deputy used to be head of music!).
    Personally, I've always ignored the policy. Music can be incredibly calming on a class, if you choose the right tracks. Bob Marley, UB40 and Tracy Chapman - god bless 'em - got me through many a Thursday afternoon lesson with a tricky Year 9 class who I used to have the lesson straight after French Riots.
    I've also used music to get a class talking about the work - I hate it when they just work/struggle in silence. A bit of pop music in the background particularly helped an old A-Level class overcome the eery silences that used to sometimes happen - they would soon start discussing the work with some music to mask their discussions.
    And if you've got a class that is a bit sleepy in the morning, break out the disco: Gloria Gaynor, Diana Ross, The Bee Gees
    Try out different music with different classes, see what works. General rule: do not let them choose the music - you'll only regret it...

8. I always try to pick a song of youtube for students to walk in to at the start which links (often tenuosly) to the lesson e.g. Take a chance on me for probability, spinning around for rotations etc. I play music of my choosing (usually by the crooners) during the lesson but try to find songs they know. Michael Buble is very popular with them.

9. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I find that the downside over using classical music is that it has a dynamic range. If it's loud enough for the pianissimo bits to be audible then the fortissimo is deafening! Pop music has such a small dynamic range that this doesn't cause a problem. Anyone got any classical suggestions that don't have this as an issue?

10. I NEVER play background music
    On April 1st, I had the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" in the afternoon
    Kids complained [!!!???} so I turned it up VERY loud.
    Nobody complained - well, if they did, I could not hear them.
    I OFTEN play my selection of music to my Year 11 set 2 with whom I have worked for 5 years and they know me to have a very eclectic taste and are not surprised that I can play requests occasionally [yeah, like stuff from this millenium, man!] [​IMG]

11. maths126

maths126 New commenter

I have a digital piano in my classroom so often play music while they are working or while I'm supposed to be working [​IMG]
    We have used a variety of Maths songs such as
    • Dave Mitchell's "Circle Song"
    • "If Triangles Are Equal They Are Said To Be Congruent" sung to John Brown's Body
    • Robbie Williams' famous "I'm Loving Angles Instead"
    and so on. Generally though, it's just a selection of light classic or smooth jazz standards (such as you might hear continuously on Cheese FM) and improvised "Lift Music". It seems to keep them calm. Occasionally I'll play Brahms' Lullaby (the tune on most baby string-pull cradle toys) and the Year 7s all want to go to sleep, bless 'em...[​IMG]

12. Mathematics and music have a strange connection. Music is the only art form, where the form and the medium are
    the same. Mathematics is the only science where the methods and the subject are the same. Mathematics is the study
    of mathematics using mathematics. Music is only created and experienced as music. Thus, there is a natural connection
    between mathematics and music: Both are experienced as pure objects of the brain, and both have meaning outside
    of the brain only by artificial connections.

13. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Are there sequels to this:
    "If Quadrilaterals are Equal then They Are Congruent Too"
    "All Regular Hexagons with the Same Length sides are Congruent. Yeah, Man!"
    ?

14. maths126

maths126 New commenter

I sense an album taking shape - any record producers out there?
    "Nazard and Maths126 present:
    50 Mathtabulous Mathsongs To Embarrass Your Kids"

15. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I have this great mental image of your classroom looking like an Eastern European nightclub, circa 1992!

16. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Hello Cleveland - rock and ROLL !

17. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Here's the first one - dedicated to my Yr 7 pupils who, if you ask them to name some polygons will very excitedly start their list with "dodecahedron".
    [Sung to the tune of "Daddy's taking us to the zoo tomorrow"]
    verse 1: Everybody's heard of a dodecahedron, dodecahedron, dodecahedron.
    Everybody's heard of a dodecahedron, dodecahedron, dodecahedron, but no-one knows what it is.
    verse 2: It's a three-dimensional sha-ape, it's a three-dimensional sha-ape.
    It's a three-dimensional sha-ape - it looks a bit like a football.
    verse 3: It's got twelve pentagonal faces, it's got twelve pentagonal faces.
    Do-de-ca is Greek for twelve, so this is a dodecahedron.

18. maths126

maths126 New commenter

This is getting very silly indeed:

The Circumference on the Circle goes round and round, round and round, round and round.
    The Circumference on the Circle goes round and round, Pi d long.

The Diameter on the Circle goes through the middle, through the middle, through the middle.
    The Diameter on the Circle goes through the middle, 2 r long.

The Radius on the Circle goes centre to rim, centre to rim, centre to rim
    The Radius on the Circle goes centre to rim, half d long.

19. DM

DM New commenter

You have confused your lyrics with the truncated icosahedron song.