1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you play incidental music in art/design classes?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Trendy Art, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

I use music very specifically, probably like most colleagues. If it's for a starter/plenary I will opt for a piece like Sabre Dance to get energetic sketching within the time.
    Incidental music... makes me think of the Pink Panther for some reason. I don't tend to go for the ambient Chopin in lessons because if I review with a class I want them to concentrate on what I or others say back to the class.

2. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

Firstly, there is adequate research evidence that shows that the use of ambient music in the classroom is effective. I have always used it, often as a learning focus, hip hop during a graffiti project, Beatles during a sixties project, Gregorian chants during an illuminated letter project, etc etc etc. Secondly, you have to consider issues such as who is in charge of the music or else you will have them lining up to play music which is not particularly "ambient" or part of the focus. Ipods are not allowed in exam sessions these days which has rocked a few art teacher boats but that's because we need to come under the same rules as everyone else. Personal listening does break up the group chemistry, shared music is more effective.

3. I use spotify in my lessons often. I create different playlists eg, chilled out music, more up tempo music etc and use according to the mood of the lesson. I had some trance type music on the other week and overheard a very poor motivated SEN child say to his friend 'this music makes me work faster' So it can have its uses! I do select the music though, because if you let the pupils choose then you get arguements and they end up focusing on the music not their work.

4. Hi there,

I believe that there is a lot of research out there to back up that by playing certain types of classical music the individuals spacio temporal reasoning is heightened and their ability to think out long complicated tasks is made easier. It might be worth raeding up on yourself if you are interested in it.

Best

5. I use music generelly.many people like different types of music but i like dance music and particularly pink panther for some reason. Some BGM are very interesting and very popular for some pleasent atmosphere.
    web design manchester | ecommerce websites