1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plan for guided reading?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Isotope824, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hi,

I'm a year 3 teacher, and this academic year we have started doing guided reading twice a week (once with teacher, once with TA). We have a limited number of guided reading books available in school, and so we ended up finishing them all by the October half term.

Since then, my parallel teacher and I have been borrowing books from the LA's professional centre. Our head is not happy about this, though, as she says we're not planning what to ask the children- the novels have no teaching guided to go along with them.

We're not happy to have to do additional planning, but as the school is limited in funds we can't get more guided reading scheme books either. I'm quite happy to ad lib questions to ask the children as we progress through the book, but the head thinks it all needs to be scripted.

What do other schools do about this? Are there any simple solutions I'm missing?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. McLauz

McLauz New commenter

Yes we plan guided reading like we would any other subject. I'm doing a 'fiction focus' at the moment which means all my guided reading groups are reading a novel. I borrow the books from the schools library service or try to put a set together from what we have in school or borrowing off other teachers.
    The planning does take a long time. I have year 5 so two of my groups are reading quite chunky texts. I read all the books before hand, (3 groups) make up questions/ tasks to go with each chapter and try to ensure the questions cover all the AFs by the end of the novel.
    Hope this helps!

3. Im in Y2. We have quite an extensive selection of good quality guided reads, so no problem with resourcing.
    We have a sheet for each group for planning that basically says text/focus/notes for next session. Under focus I note which AF/APP statement I am working on, something about a phoneme focus to preview, and note any tricky words that will also need previewing. I then question around the AF/APP focus but have no space to record these questions on the planning sheet.
    It only takes about 5 minutes to plan and I do it at lunchtime each day.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We do. But I do the shortest reading plans you could imagine.

Some other teachers spend ages on their plans (pages of them) and have question after question scripted.

My class make just as much progress and understand their reading just as well (if not better). Not everything in life needs to be scripted to every last word. If you are able to ad-lib, then do it.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I plan for guided reading. I read the section that the children will read. about 10 pages, 3 different books and write down the questions I am going to ask. Focus of the questioning will be a skill such as inference or empathy with a character. Doesn't take long and if the books are any good, then it's quite a nice activity for me!

6. Yup, I do. I was originally sceptical - and it is indeed more planning. But it works.
    I have a rotation of groups at G.R time. Same time, 4 days a week.
    * one group doing a pre reading task - (usually reading book pages before GR - looking things up etc)
    * one doing GR with me.
    * one group doing a follow up task.
    * one group doing handwriting.

I tend to plan out a few weeks at a time. I read the book I have chosen fro each group, and work out how to divide it up. I write a set of Qs linked to AFs that the chn need to work on for each GR session. I plan a follow up task that chn can do independently. (such as: write a letter as a character, or use the description in the writing and draw what you think the house looked like, or use the glossary and find out what these words mean).
    It is a lot of planning... tho. Reckon the last 4 week block took me between 2 and 3 hours to plan. I am getting quicker at it. I also find it good for making me ask a selection of different Qs that address all of the AFs... at first I referred to app sheets to remind myself as I was planning, but now I have them in my head.
    My prev method of GR was MUCH easier though... and I just asked Qs as went along. In my rotation I put in prereading, times table and handwring tasks etc. It worked too.

7. Hi
    Remember that you don't always need to read a book. We have a box of resources at school with menu's, maps, leaflets from vets, theme parks etc that the children look at and read.
    These are quite good as it's a different sort of reading!
    Just a thought!
    Louise

8. If you're struggling for resources a good idea is to choose double pages from non-fiction texts or short stories and photocopy sets of them and then keep then in zip-up wallets along with your planning so that they can be used by others. I tend to use books from the library service which are connected to our topic. Recently did some lovely Ancient Egyptian myths with my Year 6's and they really enjoyed them.

9. We use sheets like these for our assessments- we choose AFs to focus on and then comment on how the child has responded.

We then use these assessment sheets to help highlight our APP grids. I'm off work for the next two weeks (following surgery... risk of infection from year 3 kids is very high!) so I left my TA and supply with extensive notes of which AFs I want each child to be looking at. Otherwise, I get all notes written about AF1, and I know my level 3b kids can read the words... Hopefully they'll use my notes!

10. I don't do plans for GR. In the morning before the chn come in, I look through the book and have a little ponder about what to ask, any AFs I could do with hitting, etc.
    I note down what I ask the chn as we do the session and I note down their responses and some direct quotes. Then I put this info into the GR tracker sheets in legible handwriting after the session.
    I hope I'm helping to encourage the chn to see reading as a pleasure in GR sessions and I make a big deal about how nice it is to chat about books etc. I also like to follow up any interesting, unexpected points the chn make - might be a line of discussion far better than I would have planned for. Maybe if I were a Mathshead, I wouldn't be so confident but I feel fine about GR. I know the sessions are good so I don't feel like I'm being lazy or doing anything bad. There are many other things that I plan the hell out of, WAY more than I need to, because I feel like I need the crutch.

11. I do this too - usually I plan for a half term in the holidays before-hand.
    Like louisa, I also use other reading materials: menus, leaflets, all sorts of things. I also use non-fiction books linked to the topic.
    I have a rotation of:
    Pre-reading, with a focus linked to an AF
    GR with me - focusing on one AF per session
    Follow-up task based on the section/chapter read, again AF-linked (trying to make sure all AFs are covered by the end of the text)
    Independent reading/free writing
    Took a while to get the children used to expectations in the unsupervised groups, and the noise level, but now it works really well.

12. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Would it help if you used one the web sites that offers short reading pieces with prepared questions and answers? I use this one: http://englishforeveryone.org/Topics/Reading%20Comprehension.htm and this one: http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/2nd-comprehension.html. The second one is American - so watch out for "Americanisms" - and they have also unfortunately just started charging - but some stuff is still free.

13. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

No I dont plan Guided Reading. I have 5 groups who I see once a week on rotation. Then one group is on a non fiction fact find, one group does a follow on activity to their guided read the previous session, one group gets to free choice read and one group does a character description from their most recent reading book. I make sure each group gets relevant genre exposure and ask questions 'off the cuff' that relate to the target for that session (liked to the AF's). When people say they 'plan' it, what is there to plan that I am not doing? Genuine question, as id hate to think I was doing mine a disservice!

14. There are some things we have to do during our guided reading sessions, so there isn't much freedom.

We have 5 groups:

* 2 do guided reading (TA and teacher)
    * 1 does reading journal activities (from a list of 60 activities)
    * 1 does free reading
    * the last group does literacy activities. In my class, this involves the writing box, listening to audio CDs or free writing on the class computer.

We don't really have the chance to do follow on activities from the GR books. Having looked through the activities in the books, the kids would need adult support anyway and this just isn't available in our timetable.

15. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have 5 groups rotating, so I hear every child once a week. I don't plan. How hard is it to think up questions off the cuff for Level 3 reading texts?

16. I agree... but I am expected to plan, therefore I do. I still make up questions as I go along. I can't help it.

17. I'm in Year 2 and we aren't expected to produce pages of planning but to scribe questions on the proforma linked to a certain AF each week, as we ask them. If you look on the forums there are so many guidance sheets on types of questions for each AF so I tend to have that to hand so I know I'm covering a range of questions.

In the past I've planned GR in detail but now I find it much easier and more natural to ask questions as I go along. I find that I gather much more evidence this way as there is more freedom to explore spontaneous answers and observations that children give. I have four groups so they read with me once a week and I plan it so on a rotation the groups:

1. Read with me
    2. Follow up task
    3. Use www.oxfordreadingtree.co.uk with a partner to read a book of their choice together.
    4. Free choice reading

However I've recently changed it so my lower group are reading individually with me instead of in a group which is essentially what they really need. I find it much more beneficial than a group book in my opinion, for their level. Especially as getting through those readers on a daily basis every week is near impossible!

18. Buy the guided reading books like reading explorer-they are photocopiable for each year group-I think sometimes people forget how busy we are in the classroom without doing even more planning which no doubt is to do with accountability