1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need QTS for private tutoring?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by nomita, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi there
    Do you need QTS for private tutoring?
    Thanks
    Nomita

2. No you don't need QTS to work as a private tutor.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But I would advise getting some relevant information on modern school systems, examination boards, NC assessment levels, SEN and basic ed theories (depending what you are proposing to teach etc). I know of some very good tutors, who, for whatever reason, did not complete the teacher training course, but still help their tutees a great deal. Equally, I know of some people who just decided that as they had a degree in a particular subject, then they might as well tutor...and were worse than useless. Of course some people are natural teachers, but most of us would agree that holding a degree in a subject does not necessarily mean you can tutor.
    As a parent paying for tuition, I would want to know that the tutor had experience of different techniques and learning strategies, and could plan individual lessons for my child, paying attention to his particular needs, and know what was needed to pass a particular exam at a particular level.