1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need BTEC Media resources?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by KarrieL, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hi, this is a bit late in the day (2 years later!) but have only just come across the thread as am new to teaching media. Ive been given unit 1 of Edexcels Media TV & Film which is 'Research Techniques' and would like to make my lessons as enjoyable as possible for my year 12 mixed ability students. Would you have any tips or resources you could direct me to. Anything would be a great help, thanks, or if anyone else has anything for me please email me at jdillon@alsophigh.biblio.net

2. Hi, im just starting to teach Level 3 of the same course (edexcel) and am responsible for unit 1 (Research Techniques) . I would appreciate any tips or examples of work or resources you may be able to forward. Cheers
    jdillon@alsophigh.biblio.net

3. Dear Karriel,
    I run TV Industry training courses and we are finding increasingly that teachers/practitioners and lecturers are joining us for them. I did deliver an INSET day in Hertfordshire recently with great feedback. Would you be interested in either attending one of our courses or hosting a day for a group at your school? Big handouts and resource advice included!
    Visit our website for course outlines; www.screenhouse.co.uk or send me an email for more info barbara.govan@screenhouse.co.uk
    We are supported by Education Leeds in a drive this term to offer industry standard help and resources to educators here. Be great if we can help you too as I think the bar is set very high and many teachers are really thrown in at the deep end. I can give you Media teacher referees too if that';s any help,
    Best wishes,
    Barbara

4. Please see our post to Karriel about our TV Industry courses which can get teachers up to speed on e.g. TV Research or about our INSET days.
    Barbara Govan Screenhouse Training barbara.govan@screenhouse.co.uk

5. Hi,
    I have just read this post and I would be really very interested. I am an ICT tutor but my college has decided to do the BTEC Media National Diploma in Games Development. We have to do the Media core units first and right now I am struggling to teach Unit 2, Pre-production Techniques for the Media Industries. However I haven't a clue what I am doing. I would be very interested in any thing you may have, SOWs, lessons, worksheets, assignments etc ... If they were geared towards the Games Development that would be fantastic but I would be very please for anything right now. Thanks

Tokyoprice

6. Further to my last post, I forgot to give my email address, it is:
    pbmoss@hotmail.com

Any help on BTEC Media core units, particularly Unit 2, Pre-production techniques for the Media Industries, would be most welcome. Thanks

Tokyoprice

7. I am trying to set BTEC media in my school for next year. I would love any advice and resources you could give me! You would be my hero!
    My e mail is patriciaharkinireland@yahoo.co.uk

8. Yes please if its not too late, any resources would be useful, thanks.
    astulind@hotmail.com

9. hi there

yes this could help me greatly

I'm an art and design lecturer, whose just started a new FE job, and i've been kind of 'railroaded' into picking up a bunch of Media courses, some of the graphics/p-shop stuff is Ok of course but i've been given a fairly heavy media theory/background load, which strays way off my area of expertise .

I've just started this week on

BTEC first- Level 2
    Unit 1: Introduction to the Media industries
    Unit 2: Research for media production
    Unit 3 Introduction to the Media audiences and products (later in ac year)

BTEC National Level 3 -
    Unit 1: Research techniques for the media industries
    Unit 3: Production Management Project (later in ac year)
    unit 5 - critical approaches to media products
    Unit 18- Digital Graphics for interactive media (that one Ok for me, although any suggested class/group exercises for the 'technical' side such as colour management, resolution, and preparing different files would be great)

So anything you've got is great, i've got some books and overviews etc, but any actual class exercises, worksheets, videos, and if you have them lesson plans would be brilliant

10. hi again

don't think i put my name/contact

pete mountford
    pete.mountford@yahoo.co.uk

cheers

pm

11. Hi
    I am head of department for media studies at a school in derbyshire and have just started a You Tube channel as a bit of an experiment - hoping it will be led by viewers and get lots of media teacher interest. Please check out 'That Teacher Show' by going to www.youtube.com/thatteachershow [​IMG]

Look forward to recieving comments about what should go in the first show!

Cheers
    Doug

12. We have quite a few BTEC and other media/film resources on www.mediafilmexchange.co.uk If you would like to join us in sharing resources please do come over and have a look. The site will always remain free.

13. Hopefully, I'm not too late to request any resources you may have. I am, also, a harrassed English teacher trying to teach Media so any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. I am teaching BTEC Media for the first time and it would be a great help if I could have resources/sow for BTEC Media - if it's not too late, many thanks. My email is farisai@hotmail.com.

15. Hi there, just a bit of advice - if you could complete any of the core units at the same time as one of the free choice units this may help in terms of teaching the duller aspects like 'Research into...'. I'm teaching Unit 5 for example (audio production) and getting them to do unit 2 at the same time.

Hope this helps!

16. Yes please! I am an English teacher with little Media expereince. Any help would be greatfully recieved.

[​IMG] Many thanks

17. ohhhh anything that's going would be great as Im starting the new btech in creative media production in September.

beckcd@hotmail.com

Lovely.

18. AlisonKatherineJones

AlisonKatherineJones New commenter

Hi,

I'm also interested as we will be doing this from September but can't find any INSET courses that we can get someone out to.
    Alisonkatherinejones@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks.

19. Hi,
    I hope you get this email. If so I am trying to gour faculty ready for Btec Media Unit 2 - Communication techniques for creatiove media.
    If you have anything to help it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Phil
    pamuzu@gmail.com

20. Hi
    like many others i am an English teacher that has to teach btec media in september, and don't really have a clue where to start. I would value any advice and resources that you have to offer. my email address is basics100@yahoo.co.uk.

Thank you so much for sharing :)