1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do you need a teacher qualification if you have been teaching for 5 years?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nicksclincs7, Oct 1, 2018.

  1. nicksclincs7

    nicksclincs7 New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    I am previous teacher in the UK looking at the idea of teaching abroad. I taught Music for Oxfordshire County Music Service and have ran music lessons in whole class teaching environments as well as specialist instrumental environments.
    My degree is in Music and instrumental teaching, in this I studied music, mastered my instruments and studied child development but strictly speaking I do not have a PGCE. I have been teaching for 5 years and have never been held back by not having a PGCE in the UK and wondered if anyone knew if I would need this to look at teaching abroad?

    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you and all the best,
  2. moscowbore

    moscowbore Star commenter

    Most reputable international schools will require a teaching qualification.
    yasf and Angelil like this.
  3. dunnocks

    dunnocks Star commenter

    most uk schools still require a teaching qualification.
  4. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    It’s possible. Especially as music is, wrongly, seen as not a “real” subject. Music teachers without the usual qualifications have indeed landed jobs in international schools with the fulls works package and will continue to do so. It’s still much better though to have the teaching qualification and well worth the effort of doing it.
  5. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    You might find the qualification is part of getting a works visa, so a lot of places wont have a choice but to ask for one.
  6. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    True. In many places it is a law rather than a school’s choice.
  7. nemo.

    nemo. Occasional commenter

    Imho any school tbat would employ you would simply be a place you wouldnt want to work in. Also Music teachers are not rare and relatively cheap with QTS. So unless you are a trailing spouse of a maths teacher no real chance. Get qualified!
  8. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    It is still possible to teach in China without a teaching qualification.
  9. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    What do you mean by "strictly speaking"? Do you have one or not?
    Have you actually taught music as a curriculum subject and prepared students for public exams? It's a legal requirement that you should either have a PGCE or be working towards one. I'm intrigued as to why the lack of one has never held you back. What kind of schools have you taught in?
  10. percy topliss

    percy topliss Established commenter

    In Bangkok part of getting the working Visa is to prove that no Thai could do the same job. So they say this chap has a teaching degree from such and such a place which we require as an International school. Not sure about other countries but here the Thais would just say that they already have many people who can teach music so hire one of them...

    It is tough but it protects a few jobs for the locals. Many of the instrumental music teachers at International schools here are Thai.


  11. Angelil

    Angelil Occasional commenter

    Not at all: QTS/a PGCE is only required in order to teach in LEA-maintained schools in England and Wales. Other schools (including independents, academies etc) can do as they please.
  12. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    Yes standards are, ahem, different in England.

    But I can't see the OP getting round visa requirements.
  13. Angelil

    Angelil Occasional commenter

    How is a PGCE a visa requirement?
    QTS is the status of being a qualified teacher. How you acquire that status (BEd, PGCE, AO, SCITT etc) doesn't/shouldn't matter.
  14. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    I wasn't aware that it is a visa requirement.

    I wrote that it's a legal requirement to be working towards one if you don't have one already. This applies to Scotland. From what you wrote in post 11, England is a lot less fussy.
  15. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Not all routes to QTS are equal, and not having a PGCE or B. Ed (in other words a university based course with placements) can disadvantage you. That said, it often doesn't, and plenty of people are hired in relatively good schools with no teaching qualifications at all.
  16. MrMedia

    MrMedia Star commenter

    Scotland doesn’t require QTS, it requires a PGCE as do many other countries. International schools are private schools so they get what they pay for. Not having the PGCE puts you down a tier from those who do. So you’ll get work, but after the upper tier have been hired first by the most selective schools.

    They’ve put a bursary in for music teachers this year. A one year dash, the teaching would be a doddle, get your PGCE and you could easily have yourself sorted.
  17. sparklesparkle

    sparklesparkle Established commenter

    No, it requires a PGDE (or BEd) because there's no such thing as a PGCE in Scotland. If you have one, you might find the GTCS ask you to do a probationary period. And in some cases the school-based qualifications that you do in England might not be recognised at all.

Share This Page