1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you move up the pay scale on supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by laa2laa, Jul 19, 2011.

1. If you are working for an agency in a range of different schools on day to day work can you still move up the main pay scale?

2. If you are working for an agency in a range of different schools on day to day work can you still move up the main pay scale?

3. Not if you're working for an agency. They just pay a flat rate usually.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its going to depend on your particular agency but in my experience it doesn't. Over the last 12 or so years I have been registered with about as many agencies (including one for the entire time) and I receive a fixed daily rate. I've heard of some agencies that used to but I think that has stopped.
    My daily rate has increased by a percentage each year (until this year.) But now one agency has reduced the payment for one placement because the school has refused to pay anymore.
    At one time you could negotiate more for certain placements if travelling distance was an issue or no one else would go there but these days our barginning power is weaker and there is less chance of this.
    I was earning more in 2005 on long term supply in a "challenging" school then I am now which at the time was more then my equivalent main scale rate. Add to that some P/T evening lecturing in an FE college and one to one tutoring and I was "minted". Fast forward to 2011 and its a very different story. Its the same for everyone though (unless you are a Banker)

5. Thanks for your replies

What happens if you have been on supply for a year or more and then you get a contract as a school? Would you start on m2 or higher?

Thanks

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Again there's no one correct answer to this and it depends on the school, they should do but if they are being careful with budgets or just tight they might not. It could depend largely on what type of supply you have done, long term cover for an unfilled position would justify a higher starting point. Daily cover might not.
    Its something to discuss at your interview I suppose.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You can't move up the official teachers' mainscale for pay when you are not even on it. private agencies will pay you what they can get away with.

The only way to guarantee pay progression on the Mainscale on supply is to get registered witht he LA and use their supply service for work placements. I reached M6 on supply that way. Getting through Threshold is proving more difficult.
    If you get LA work after a year or more on agency supply the school do not have to pay you more than M1. Some may take your experience into account and pay more but don't count on it.
    You only need to get one day of teaching per week for at least 26 weeks of a school year, paid for by an LA, to move up the payscale. You get LA paid work through the LA supply service or by contacting schools direct.
    You can take work with agencies on other days of the week (though LA paid work will pay you more).

8. Thank you. Sounds strange but the reason I was asking was because I got my starter pack for my school today and it said I was on M2 only after working day to day agency work.

I thought that they had it wrong as I had expected to be on M1

9. Agencies pay flat rates, most of these have remained the same over the last couple of years, or actually decreased. Agencies in London only offer about £100 to 120 par day now, which is little better than it was 10 to 12 years ago. More worrying is that schools and/or agencies seem to use any excuse not to pay at all, or due to inefficient umbrella companies takes weeks or months to pay you. This last year, I found that the chances of getting paid are only about 60%.

10. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Don't question it. Just accept it and be glad that they either thought you were previously LA paid and thus put you further up the payscale or they decided to recognise your experience.
    My sister came to teaching from industry (10 years in management) and she was put on M3 in her Induction year.

11. Sorry but there is no such thing as MPS with an agency. They will pay you what ever THEY like.

12. I worked through agencies for two years before landing a maternity cover. Fully expected to start at the bottom of the pay scale but the head very kindly decided to reward my two years of hard work and start me on M3. I was thrilled to bits as I wasn't expecting it at all!

13. If you have been working for a LA agency, where you worked for a specified length of time over the year (I seem to remember some mention of 26 weeks) then it is possible to move up the pay scale. If you are working for a LA agency then they will probably be paying you to scale anyway........
    I have moved up the pay scale like this.
    This has also happened to me too!