1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you move up the main pay scale automatically each year?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mondoolik, Feb 23, 2011.

1. My headteacher told me that it isn't automatic to progress up the main pay scale. She said it is dependent on me showing progress and meeting targets. Is this true? These targets do not seem realistic to me, although we have had very good results in my key stage.

Thanks

2. My headteacher told me that it isn't automatic to progress up the main pay scale. She said it is dependent on me showing progress and meeting targets. Is this true? These targets do not seem realistic to me, although we have had very good results in my key stage.

Thanks

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Do you work in an Academy or Local Authority School? If you work in an LA School somebody is telling you lies.[​IMG]

4. I work in a LA school. I've read that the pay increase depends on teachers showing satisfactory performance. I believe I have shown this and I have taken on some extra responsibility this year.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Quite honestly, unless you are on capability there is no way you should not be getting your annual increment. Any HT refusing a rise on any other grounds would be toasted by any half decent union officer.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It is frustrating that this still causes an issue and that head teachers still, seem to be misguided, into believing progression is not automatic. It is. Aside from threshold, there is no requirement to apply for progression, not even a letter.... Unless a teacher is on capability or has been deemed 'unsatisfactory' following a performance management review (in which case one would think they might be on capability or supported in any light) progression should be automatic without question. I despair at the way in which teachers are goaded into believing otherwise.

7. Thanks. I'll talk to my school union rep next week so that they are aware of the issue. I'll see if the head proceeds with this, I'm not going to just accept it.