1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you mark test outside of lesson?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Jul 13, 2020.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi

Just wondering if tutors do any work outside of lesson like setting regular topic tests and mock exam paper for students to do at home and you mark it in your own time?

Thanks
    Bal

2. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Yes, definitely. Whether online/or face to face tutoring it should involve setting regular tests, mock papers etc, to assess an understanding of the work. It can be in the form of a brief verbal quiz or a more in depth thing. Most of the lesson prep I do is offline, but as I've converted most of my online stuff I do with students to Word documents, I can do short work/quizzes etc with them. I think it depends on the individual, but I would imagine most tutors mark stuff in their own time.

What is the reason for your question?

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I would expect a tutor to spend at least as much time again in preparation and assesment

4. microbiology

Most of the tutors I know dont and I have always been told that gcse/alevel students are paying for the time and prep time so I was wondering.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Obviously could be different subject to subject. I teach Maths. I set work but I ask the parents/child to mark their own answers (most of the time). When I worked face-to-face I would mark whilst they were doing work I had set ( 5 mins max). I also ask them to highlight anything they want to go through before the lesson. Now I ask them to take a picture and email it to me if they do this more than a few hours before I will mark most of it before the lesson. My prep time is only about 15 mins per child per week. Probably more like 30 mins per week per child for year 11. I don't know how you would manage if you had groups. I would be happy to mark if I was asked too I would charge extra.

6. microbiology

Mine are groups of 7

7. suzette

It depends on the individual tutor. It is effectively your business and your rules. The price I charge is a set price, but it does take into consideration all those things, but really marking takes a while, so I just do it until I finish and don't charge extra.

8. microbiology

Do you do 1-1 or groups? Mine are groups

9. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

Why? Do you expect a someone you hire to do a job for you around the house, to spend an equal amount of time at home on your work unpaid?That is why everyone thinks teachers are easy targets as we sell our services short at each corner. They have paid you for one hour of your time, no more, clearly the value of time differs, if you are valuing your time/not valuing that is.

10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I don't mark outside the lesson but I only do one-to-one lessons. I don't know about groups. I guess it depends how much you charge as to what would be considered reasonable in terms of marking. In a post last year you said you charged £25 per hour for group lessons, so for a group of 7 you'd be getting £175 per hour. I think at that rate you should certainly be doing quite a bit of marking outside lessons as they won't be getting individual attention in lessons.

11. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I teach a lot of adults. Some want homework some don't. If they've done something and chosen to send it me before the lesson then I'll mark it but most just bring it with them and we go over it together. Marking can take different forms and very often talking someone through what they've written in another language while they're with you is far more effective than giving it back to them marked.
    For GCSE writing, I would share the mark scheme with the child. I ask them to email me the work the day before so I can look at it and highlight key points. I then ask them to show me where they think their work fits into the scheme and why it doesn't fit into the higher one. They can then see it from the examiner point of view
    I charge 25 an hour in the North West. I've taught for almost 25 years, so, no, I do not need to spend an hour planning every lesson. If I did, I would charge extra.

bramblesarah likes this.
  12. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Totally agree with you this is similar to what I do.

13. langteacher

Fully agree with the poster who said that we don't ask others to do extra.
    Had my hair done last week. Mobile hairdresser... She arrived, did my hair, I paid her , she left.
    Getting work done on the house next week, they will come in, do the work and leave. I won't be asking them to do anything extra.
    Often, a student will turn up and dash they've done something in school that day that they didn't understand and could we do that. So that's what we do. I can't say just give me an hour to prep the lesson!

suzette likes this.
  14. langteacher

Dash? Say!

15. suzette

One to one, but even if I did groups I would still have a set price. I think it gets to complicated to work out another price for marking. But that's the way I do things, others may do it differently.

16. microbiology

I charge £50/hr 1-1 but only because of my experience and not manytutors in the area does well in my subject at A level. I print coloured notes, pack of questions etc. My groups are half-price