1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you limit paper? If so how...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by daisypetals, Mar 25, 2012.

1. My children love to make books and colour/ write all the time. We are going through so much paper, sOmetimes the colourings etc get scribbled and left... How do I stop this and reduce the paper they use? Seems a shame to limit to 1 sheet each a day if they are being creative!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Put out a request to parents for scrap paper. - often people have paper that has only been printed on one side or have leftover lining paper from DIY.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you have a local printers or newspapers they will often give you end of roll free.

4. Have the same problem. I was given exercise books no-one needed, so I'm giving them to children who use paper well. Thenthey're doing their stuff in a book and not using so much paper anyway!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What exactly is 'using paper well'?

6. Not just scribbling and abandoning, which there's been a spate of. I don't object to all scribble as such - some of it is quite purposeful. There have also been a number of children taking several sheets at a time and then shoving it in their drawers, squashing it, screwing it up, never to be written or drawn on, just left in there until they can't get any more in.
    Other children are writing lists, labels, stories, questions (just recently, which has been interesting), drawing pictures to write about, making cards, writing notes to each other and any number of other little paper projects where they cut, glue, tape, create.
    Compared to scribbling on it and then leaving it wherever it may fall, this is using paper well.

7. Try freegle or freecycle, asking for old diaries or note books as well.

8. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Oh good!
    Anyone written a novel yet?
    Are the drawers you speak of their underwear? Perhaps they want to make themselves look fat- could you provide some alternative stuffing? We used to have a spate of this around Christmas time when the baby Jesus was burgeoning in utero or when mums were having new babies.