1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you like 'Children in Need'? I don't...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

This sort of sums it up for me:

[​IMG]

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Poor people? Hardly.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I loathe it and won't watch a minute of it.

ilovesooty and aspensquiver like this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I wonder at what point compassion overload will kick in and the coffers will reduce. It's just a series of sketches, interspersed with celebs begging.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not the biggest fan... not for *** reason... just cos it's a bad night of telly.

ScotSEN and midnight_angel like this.
  6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can't bear it and never watch it. Every year, one or both of my talented young nieces (both athletes, older one is already a multiple national record holder) does a run or triathlon and I always give them generous sponsorship, which means I've given already and supported them.

Both Children in Need and Comic Relief have me shouting "That's (insert name of celeb)'s contribution then - how much did s/he stick in the pot as well as giving their 'precious' time?"

ScotSEN and midnight_angel like this.
  7. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

Is this a reference to the celebrities on charity appeals? I ask because i stopped watching these tele appeals years ago. I got sick of watching celebrities cobbling together inferior and unfunny sketches and presenting them as their best work. Also the "we've reached £50 gazillion. Let's make it £100 gazillion. The British public are so generous. We know you can give more" mentality.

8. Memphismojo

Not to mention the fact they take over the BBC for around 10 hours of the schedule which is paid for by the license fee. It's just a slap in the face.

9. cuteinpuce

The BBC is there to provide and broadcast material which people want to watch. Children In Need meets that criteria and attracts decent audiences.

10. Memphismojo

It's often deliberately overlooked that many people have contributed already.

I frequently wondered the same thing. Often these slebs have a tour coming up, or a book being published, or a tv series coming out etc...

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't watch it but do take part in the charity events it generates.
    This seems fairly common amongst my peers

13. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

The fact that it's been running for ages with an seemingly ever-increasing need for it rankles. Charity should only ever be a stopgap. Plus, the portrayals of the appeals are gross and border on dehumanising. It's a feel-good event to mitigate guilt, frankly. But god forbid I say this at school :p

kibosh, aspensquiver and Memphismojo like this.
  14. Memphismojo

That should be the way it is but it seems more a case of they think people should.watch certain things.

How is decent defined though?

15. Memphismojo

Yes this is fairly common among many people.

16. cuteinpuce

Eight and a half million people watched it last year. Them's decent figures.

17. Memphismojo

Yes why such a need after such a long time after so many gazillions have been collected?

It should. But it's become an industry.

I agree.

18. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Hate it. The OP says it all.

19. Memphismojo

How many millions are watching other channels at this time?

20. Memphismojo

You should have included a poll in the thread.