1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you let your reception children use scissors independently?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Teacher1212, Oct 4, 2009.

1. I am an NQT and just wanted to see what others do. If I wanted to have a table activity (Child initiated) should I have the scissor pot on there for the children to use or do you only let children use scissors when an adult is working with the children. Obviously the scissors would be child ones but what do you guys do? Trying to do the right thing here.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You would be criticised if you didn't have scissors available.
    We provide a range of tools (adult) as part of CP scissors, saws, hammers, staplers, screwdrivers and drills.

3. Scissors are freely available to children in both Nursery and Reception as part of continuous provision. Children soon learn how to use them and children need to be as independent as possible. Sometimes a child finds them really difficult and a practitioner can use training scissors, which have two sets of finger holes, to help a child learn the movements for cutting. A few pairs of left-handed scissors are also useful.

4. Yes freely available as polar pup describes.

However- as far as hammers and scew drivers are concerned that isn't the case.

5. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Our Nursery children have scissors freely available inside and outside for creative, workshop, graphics activities. We have had very few incidents - only a spot of hair cutting that happened when two naughty girls decided to take their scissors to the toilet and play hairdressers.
    They need to have these resources available - you need to teach them about appropriate use.
    I have to say our children love cutting!

6. Yes I have scissors out in several areas of classroom (and also in a box that goes outside) and have also had haircutting incidents, but the parents laughed it off each time. Also in writing corner I have staplers and hole punches, and sometimes I have potato peelers out depending on activity, but no hammers and screwdrivers.

7. I'm curious! What do you do with the potato peelers?

I have garlic press out in play dough too.

8. I was first introduced to the peelers on an EY outdoor play course where they had us peeling sticks we had found in the woods to make memory sticks. You peel them, then stick 4 velcro spots on and the children can stick any 4 things on that they find interesting e.g. on a school trip as an alternative to carrying around a clipboard and having to write. Not sure if I've explained that very well. Anyway now I often leave sticks and peelers out in the tuff spot and once they have created lots and lots of wood shavings in there I go over and join in, then encourage them to write letters etc in the shavings with their stick. Or sometimes if I have compost in the tray outside I'll buy reduced carrots or something from the supermarket and they can dig them up and peel them. Then once again I go over and get them to line the carrots up in size order or something. It turns out to be a really good social activity and you can record some very interesting conversations between the children a bit like the snack table. You can just buy normal peelers for cheap of if you want to buy them from an education place then the lady on the course suggested Mindstretchers.

9. we also use real hammer and nails and drills with the children, at first we have it as an adult led activity but once the children understand how to use them safely they are fine, we have had no problems. ofsted commended us on manageable risks

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Especially the wannabee hairdressers amongst them....

11. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

I have a cautionary tale I wheel out now and again about a little girl who cut off her ponytail at the bobble and ended up with spikes on top of her head.
    Not that that'll stop them - its a split second thing I think. I remember doing it myself, several times, when I was little!

12. Oh and those plastic scissors that you assume never cut anything (cos they're generally rubbish but "safe")... my little brother established that they cut school sweatshirts nicely when he was little - much to the horror of his teacher! (my mum was the type to just laugh it off as one of those things that happens thankfully... same as when the blu tack ended up up his nose etc)

13. My sister in law was recounting a tale of someone cutting hair in her son's reception class. I laughed and said it happens sometimes. She became really angry and said teachers shouldn't let them have scissors! I was a little shocked she felt this way, but just brushed it off with a "hair grows back" comment.

14. I have the scissors out in the making (independent DT and creative) area as part of the continuous provision, there are also some in the outdoor stationary box, and the children know where the rest of the pot is should they need them. They access them independently. We also have plastic bladed scissors which they may use with the dough, again independently.
    I have only had 2 hair cutting incidents, one parent was very upset (her child is sikh and had never cut her hair, until the day she cut her own fringe) and one parent who thought it was funny.
    I use saws and hammers and things, but they are with adult supervision. Last year I thought I would like a wood working area as part of thecontinuous provision, but with this new class I am relieved I never got any further than preliminary discussions with the head teacher!

15. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

My very first memory of school was of a girl next to me cutting the flowers out of her dress to stick onto her picture! Scissors always available to our nursery and reception children. All taught how to carry them safely.

16. we have both right and left handed scissors avialable for the children to use indoors and out. Last year I got some screwdrivers but only use them with adult supervision initially then depending on the children they will be available later in the year. They have old telephones, clocks, computers etc that they take to pieces and put back together again. This year I am planning to get woodworking tools but will only use with adult supervision I think! We have potato peelers out a lot in the spring term when we do about fruit and veg. Put different veg in the tuffspot for them to peel and they make faces/patterns with the peelings they love this and it helps them think about the differences betwen veg such as potatoes and onions and celery etc. Hadn't thought about them peeling sticks but I like that idea.

17. I've recently moved into reception and while setting up an area automatically put out the scissors for permanent CI activities and was told in no uncertain terms that they could only be used for adult led activities! I'm putting my foot down and getting them back out tomorrow.

18. I'm bumping this back up after doing a search. There was a cutting incident in my Nursery just before the holidays and it has been "suggested" that I remove scissors and only have them for adult-led activities. I too am going to put my foot down but feel I need some back up on this. So I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are.... We are constantly modelling how to use scissors correctly and talking about using them safely. I'm going to do some Circle Times about it when we go back next week.

19. I'd definitely back you up on this. Some of the scale points wouldn't be achievable independently without having them freely available. Yes, you need lots of initial training, and reminders several times per year, but incidents are few and far between. We haven't had scissors outside so far without supervision, due to some ancient ruling from my predecessor. I suppose they are more tempted to run with them, but we're about to introduce a lot more den-making materials and I think scissors will be essential. More training needed but well worth it for the outcomes. Good luck with your protest!

20. Thank you, Lou! :)