1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you let your kids use felt tip pens?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Not in books, but they can use them for everything else. We have lots of different colours and thickness of pens.

2. Also not in books but for everything else (Year 1). I have had to be a very strict cow though to teach them how to look after the bloody things- lids on, away in boxes etc.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Never in books but OK in most other things ( although I did tell my class today that they could make any Easter card they liked as long as it didn't involve felt pens or colouring pencils!)

4. My line was always posters and the like only, never in books.
    Occasionally I would let them do things like make revision posters and allow them all the disgusting contents of their entire pencil case (which in some cases was about the size of a small WHSmiths branch) and they'd spend like 10 hours trying to colour in one letter A with a gell pen.

5. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I hate them. Looks scruffy.

Don't your children think that the work they do with felts isn't as important if you choose not to allow them on the more important work in books?

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Work done with felt pens is considered "special" as we don't allow their use in books, ( simply because the paper is so thin, felt pens bleed straight through[​IMG])

7. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Cool. Makes sense.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

By year 6 they know that all work matters and can see that sometimes felt tips are just not appropriate or are not practical. Doesn't stop them sulking when I say no, but they do understand!

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

As well as a drawer-ful of felt pens which are used during lesson time, I also have a boxful of felt pens the children are allowed to use during golden time, these are treated with near reverence and woe-betide anyone who leaves a lid off any of these!