1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you know unlikely people who became very successful?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Mar 28, 2020.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just on twitter and saw a tweet, retweeted by a B'ham themed account I follow, by Steve Stride who has a new granddaughter - very sweet.
    For people who don't know, Steve Stride had a very successful career with Aston Villa becoming club secretary and operations director. I was at grammar school with him. He was in the second stream for everything I think, just a quiet rather mousey lad, quite nice and polite and not exceptionally sporty as I remember. Looking on photos of him online he's pictured with other Bham illuminati - Tony Iommi et al. I first found out about his success in the days of Friends Reunited but tbh thought it was a wind up. Far from it.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Unlikely people who became very successful"?

That's a great question, and I expect you'll get quite a few responses.
    To start with on my part, how Gregg Wallace got to where he is will always remain my favourite mystery.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not unlikely people but I know two current footballers, one current cricketer and someone else who's face is on telly a lot.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@peakster Did you know them when they were kids and know they were going to do well

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The cricketer - yes - he was always amazing.

I was in a band many years ago with a lad who was a brilliant guitarist - he was much too good for us and moved on to join a band who achieved world superstardom (they're still pretty famous). He died in a car accident in America when the band were on tour there a number of years ago - very sad.

I also played in the same football team as a lad who became a successful professional footballer and now runs a company who cater for sports events (until very recently anyway)

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I certainly never thought the Ramones would ever go anywhere.
    Or Blondie. In their early days c1976 they were seriously awful. No idea what they wanted to be or do or how to be and do it. I remember getting up to go outside for a smoke when they came on stage.
    Everyone thought Annie Golden would be the big star to come out of the New York underground. She looked good; she was a trained singer, dancer, actress. Total show biz pro - but the zeitgeist was against show biz pros.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My daughter’s boyfriend’s father. Left school ASAP and says himself the army probably saved him from prison. Ex-SAS, he is now an extremely successful businessman in the security industry. Like so many ex-military, security offered possibilities after service, but he seems to have had the nous to be very successful.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The story of Desmond Doss, the conscientious objector who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour for bravery as a medic in the Pacific campaign of WW2 is incredible, as related in the movie Hacksaw Ridge.

On a similar note, the most decorated military unit in US history was the 442nd Infantry Regiment, recruited from second generation Japanese Americans, originally categorised as 'enemy aliens' and many of whose families were interned in camps throughout the war. Their story is one of many told in the Ken Burns documentary series The War.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

By 1978 Blondie were spot on! Saw them live and what a great gig!

artboyusa likes this.
  10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Madam C J Walker, considerhing the circumstances she was born into, time, place etc success appeared unlikely....just watched the programme based on her story on Netflix, was a good example of resilliance and determination.

Of course much depends on your definition of success.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What became of Damien Rice ? - he should have been a superstar.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It depends what you mean by successful. A friend I went to school with, didn't do particularly well there. He worked in a photo processing factory for a while, then got a job in the AA as a breakdown mechanic, which turned out to be a dead end job. His wife decided he was a waste of space and chucked him out.

Then his sister died, leaving him a nice house and a sizeable sum of money. He decided he wanted to work for himself an bought a removals business, which he built up and is doing very well with it.

It's all relative. He'll never be a household name, but compared to what he might have been, he made a success of himself. Lots of people have the capacity to do similar if they can only get the opportunity.

13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My grandfather went from the workhouse in Ireland as a child to play for Ireland and Glasgow Celtic. He died before I was born but he is a very famous GC player from way back.
    I went to school with a Scotland goalkeeper who also lived in my village.He was always a very quite, shy person.

slingshotsally and lindenlea like this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

One of the four most disruptive boys in the house, when I was first a housemaster, became a Tory MP (kicked out in 2015). All of his teachers agreed that he would come to no good and, unlike most of his peers, he failed to get into uni - but he did an HND and confounded us all by managing a really quite successful business career before spoiling it all by becoming a politician.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oh, absolutely. But they took a long time to get there. That first album should have finished them off. The second was even worse. But the third was Parallel Lines.

smoothnewt likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A boy in my class all the way from primary school to 6th form became a successful footballer building up to captaining a team in the 2nd division (or whatever it was called) in the 90's. He then stopped playing and became a manager occasionally having a season in the premier league.

He was someone I knew rather than a friend and a bit of an arrogant sod all through school.

17. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

My best friend at school was a rather over weight, clumsy girl. She absolutely hated sport and was no good at it. Now, in her 50s she suddenly discovered running. She's now slim and fit and even won first place in her age group. It makes me smile. It's good to see.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of my best mates at school was a total idiot. He could never remember anything, was always in trouble for not doing homework and was the most disorganized member of the whole class.

Now .....he is a very successful (and rich) estate agent.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I saw a name that sounded familiar in the news the other day and realised I was at school with him. It was the Barclays Fraud trial - he and two other top executives were acquitted. As far as I can remember he was a public school boy who for some reason spent a few years in our comprehensive.

slingshotsally likes this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

O P From the title of this thread. What do you actually mean by 'unlikely'? How would it differ from 'likely'?

And what do you mean by 'success'? Do you mean well-known for their prowess?