1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you know this maths investigation?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsm1380, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hi. I've been recently looking for a maths investigation that we used during teacher training. It's for KS2...

Basically the children get a page of squares divided into 4 smaller squares (like a window) and using 3 colours they have to colour in the 4 squares and then keep going until they have covered all possible patterns and colours...does this sound familiar? Does anyone know where I can get info on this as I can't remember how many possibilities there are! I've tried it myself and I think there are 24 but it would be hard on the children if I didn't actually know!!

Thank you to anyone who has a look! :)

2. Hi. I've been recently looking for a maths investigation that we used during teacher training. It's for KS2...

Basically the children get a page of squares divided into 4 smaller squares (like a window) and using 3 colours they have to colour in the 4 squares and then keep going until they have covered all possible patterns and colours...does this sound familiar? Does anyone know where I can get info on this as I can't remember how many possibilities there are! I've tried it myself and I think there are 24 but it would be hard on the children if I didn't actually know!!

Thank you to anyone who has a look! :)

3. Joi

Joi New commenter

There is a variation on this in the Seasonal section (Christmas) of primary resources. It is called Baubles Permutations by Mark Norman. http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/seasonal/seasonal.htm

4. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

If it's an investigation, put about 36 on the sheet, not the exact number needed. You could start with 2 colours - they don't always realise that leaving squares uncoloured means they have 3 options.
    Make your own sheet is the easiest way.