1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you know of a good sound engineering online course??!?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Calverlan, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Calverlan

Calverlan New commenter

Hi All,
    Is there a way to train in studio techniques and methodology from distance? I am too busy and poor to quit working to go back to uni studying to become an audio engineer, therefore I wonder if you know of any decent online/distant courses in this field.
    Thanks for all advices!

2. Calverlan

Calverlan New commenter

Hi All,
    Is there a way to train in studio techniques and methodology from distance? I am too busy and poor to quit working to go back to uni studying to become an audio engineer, therefore I wonder if you know of any decent online/distant courses in this field.
    Thanks for all advices!

3. I can recommend a few books if that's any use but I would imagine it's one of the hardest things to do from a distance learning perspective in light of the need to get hands on with the equipment. Are there no evening courses near you? You might be better approaching a local studio......

4. HebdenH

HebdenH New commenter

The Open University offers a module in the technology of music:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/ta212.htm

My boyfriend is a sound engineer who never completed his BA so is studying with the OU at the moment and doing this very course in order to get the credits. I teach A Level Music Technology and am following the work on this course with him to fill in gaps in my own knowledge and so far the course materials have been excellent.

It's £700 so you'd have to decide if it was worth the money, but you can pay in instalments with the OU so the cost could be spread over time. The OU supplies you with a software package as part of the course. It's worth a look!

H

5. HebdenH

HebdenH New commenter

Oh... the next start date for this course is February 2012. That might be quite far off?

What are you wanting to know more about? Recording techniques / sequencing / how to edit sounds or use synthesisers / mixing and mastering?

I can also recommend books and software.

H

6. A fantastic resource for audio mastering is www.masteringtuition.com

Great content for teachers and students.