1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you know anything about this scam?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, May 18, 2012.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've had two e-mails supposedly from Amazon that say they are cancelling orders that I didn't actually place. I'm guessing that if I replied they would be asking for financial details somewhere down the line. Is this a common scam - I haven't come across it before?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've had two e-mails supposedly from Amazon that say they are cancelling orders that I didn't actually place. I'm guessing that if I replied they would be asking for financial details somewhere down the line. Is this a common scam - I haven't come across it before?

3. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

I've had several of these and I wrote to Amazon via email. Their reply was to never open any attachments to these type of emails or visit a site they are linking you too. I did 'reply' to the originally emails but I didn't include any of my details, so I'm pretty sure I'm ok.

4. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

I get lots of such emails. They go straight to spam and then I delete them.
    When I look at what's in my spam folder (apart from the usual) it's amazing how many bank accounts I've supposedly got trouble with/are being suspended, how many cancelled orders/missed deliveries and, just how many things I've uploaded to YouTube.......... etc.

5. A few years ago, I had an e-mail, purportedly from Amazon, about an 'delayed order'. By co-incidence, i was was waiting for something to be delivered from Amazon, so i openned it. Within it was a link, which, when I clicked on it, just lead to an empty screen. I thought no more of this until people start telling me that they were receiving e-mails from me, trying to sell them things. The oddest thing was that I noticed that a small square had appeared at the top right-hand corner of my screen, which would not go away. Fortunately, I took my hard drive into the It people at school, and they were able to sort it out.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter