1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you judge people on their spelling and grammar?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Everyone makes the odd typos, I know and accept that. Everyone occasionally starts off saying one thing, changes their mind and ends up with a sentence that says half of one thing and half of another. Everyone makes the odd mistake. All these things I'm OK with.
    But I cannot help but judge people who consistently use poor grammar and who can't (or won't) spell simple words correctly.
    I know it's wrong to judge people, but doesn't everyone judge others on something? How they look; how they speak; the car they drivel the job they do; their lifestyle; their house; if they smoke or not...the list goes on...
    I have no problem with people who are perhaps not as picky about language as I am; I understand that I will regularly come across these people and that there are probably many things that I do, or do not do, that annoy them. But aren't I entitled to my opinion? Why is it that those of us - and I know I'm not the only one - who value good spelling and grammar, are ridiculed and called 'miserable' by those who don't care to use correct spelling, or punctuation, or grammar?
    If I was constantly picking on people's spelling on an everyday basis (outside of teaching bottom set year 9 of course!), then I'd understand. But I bite my tongue constantly and try my best not to say anything. However, I find it such a turn off, especially in men!
    My boyfriend thinks I'm insane and cannot understand how I think this is such a turn off. I keep telling him that he's lucky he can spell, because no teacher wants to feel like they are in a relationship with a kid from bottom set year 9, but he still thinks I'm mad.
    What do you think?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm with you on this one! 100%!

3. I can cope in real life, but <u>teachers</u> who sprinkle apostrophes all over the place (if I see one more report that talks about "homework's" or "GCSE's" I shall scream!) irritate the living daylights out of me

or "daylight's"

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too. Am a notorious grammar/punctuaion pedant and proud of it....even though I do make the odd typo myself. TBH I think it is quite easy to differentiate between a genuine typo and someone who can't spell or use punctuation correctly.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

See! [​IMG]

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'm with you on this one Eva! Bad spelling/grammar really winds me up. I know people make typos, but so many people I know don't know the difference between you're and your, and to and too. A friend and I had to explain how to use apostrophes to another friend, and all of us were at university together.
    So many of my friends make basic mistakes in their Facebook statuses, and I don't comment, but I have to really force myself not to!
    I always thought it was because I was an MFL teacher that I was like this about grammar!!

7. I hate poor spelling and punctuation - it really bugs me (even though mine is not perfect). My bf's is not great but as we live together there is rarely a need to write to each other so it doesn't bother me too much! The mistakes I see on facebook though on status updates really irritate me.

8. I am dreadful Eva, but SO MANY written pieces come my way - letters, circulars, advertisements etc - that I have concluded few people write well. Even reporters for my local paper produce pieces that are strewn with syntactical errors. Poor sentence structure seems the norm for many. However, these people have degrees, so it must be OK. [​IMG]
    On boards such as this it doesn't matter so much, and I make typos and errors myself, but I do bite my lip sometimes when I consider that people who don't write well - those who obviously don't appreciate that their contributions are badly written and composed - are in charge of classrooms and the teaching of children. [​IMG]

9. I,ve been judged on the car I 'drivel', also on my poor grammar and punctuation.
    I strive to be acceptable, but honestly cannot afford a new car[​IMG].
    Sorry, just could'nt resist.

10. Agreed. If I'm not certain about a word's spelling, I will look it up or use another one. I came through school in the seventies when they stopped teaching grammar in English. I didn't know what a verb was until I did German. Consequently, I 'do' English more by feel and look than by hard and fast rules. I really wish I had been taught grammar properly.
    I teach science and will always correct spellings in my pupils' work. I will spell out the words that are commonly mis-spelt, like separate and temperature. We have a couple of young science teachers who admitted that they not only never correct spellings, but don't bother with writing correct spellings on the board either. They just couldn't see the problem, as the head of Drama fell off her chair in despair.

11. [​IMG]
    Knickers, I am sure that's why Facebook doesn't appeal to me. I have no desire to be part of it. Text speak and abbreviated spelling also drives me mad if it's used online.

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I used to think this was a peculiarity of my family! I am often accused of nit-picking. Although certain family members take it to extremes....
    My great-aunt used to send back the 'thank-you' letters we wrote at Christmas - covered in red ink corrections! Mum never proof-read our letters - believing we would learn more from making mistakes and living with being corrected!
    Mum once went to my school to see my German teacher. I was doing A-Level German, and mum took my essay book in to point out the mistakes that my teacher had made in marking my work! That teacher never liked me much in the first place - after this meeting our relationship when downhill rapidly!

13. What are their names?
    I will start a campaign to have them sacked, drawn and quartered.

14. lilachardy

So they deliberately misspell things?

I'm flabbergasted!

15. What's with spelling 'the' as 'da'? And 'this' as 'dis'?
    I've seen that, and it fills me with blinding, white-hot rage.

16. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've just finished writing my tutor reports which requires me to read their subject reports. Apparently, some of my form are doing really well in their " A Level's". I can sort of understand why people might think that GCSEs needs an apostrophe (actually, no I can't - and I want to beat them about the head with a brick for doing it) but where could the omission possibly be in "A Levels"?

17. lilachardy

Well, after the A, actually!

I was taught at school that "GCSE's" is correct, as the E is short for Education.

18. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

A fair point.
    Ah yes.... but then we would need G'C'S'E's. Urgh.

19. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

My 13 year old sister and her mates drive me insane with their status updates.
    "PD's sis: luvvvs all herr m8s forevaaaa luvv yoo abbii kelliiiii and lucyyyy"

20. No, they don't deliberately miss-spell words, but they know that they probably haven't spelt a word correctly and do nothing to rectify it. They don't see it as important because they teach science not English. Whereas, I think we are all teachers of English and Maths (if and when it comes up in your subject).