1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you hug your kids?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3279, Feb 21, 2012.

1. That's what I have to do too! My boys, who are actually men in their twenties, love a cuddle and I'm happy to oblige. My eldest daughter is a bit phobic about touching people so I only get a hug at Christmas and Birthdays. My youngest children (7 and 9) love cuddles and they are especially cuddly.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Both John Prescott and his son were on the Jeremy Vine show (Radio 2) yesterday talking about this. The son called his father John!
    John Prescott said that he kind of carried on the way his father did who he quoted as saying to his wife "you have them and I'll keep them", which I guess were traditional values at that time ie the man as the breadwinner. Prescott also said that he believed it was a working class attitude but I beg to differ with him there - weren't uppercrust children seen and not heard, being cared for a cuddled by the nanny etc and only brought out after tea time to say 'sir' to their father?
    Today is much different because roles are different. But I do think my dad cuddled me and my brother (will have to ask brother about it though).

3. I am 30 and my brother is 28 - we both hug our parents and kiss them when leaving after visits.

4. I hug my adult kids more now than when they were little I think.
    I wish I had hugged them more. I wasn;t hugged much as a child.
    I hug my grandkids a lot.

5. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I hug my kids but they're still little more than babies. My parents rarely hugged me but I always got a goodnight kiss.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We all hug a lot although I think d-i-l resists a bit. She is teaching grandaughter to hug us all to say goodbye too which we really love. My boys are superb huggers.

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oooh, yes! I'm a cuddler and a cudlee! Long may it last! !!

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I hug mine when I can catch them.

9. I was hugged by my mum until I was about 8 but younger by my dad. I always got a kiss goodnight from my mum until I was 13 and then it went a bit wrong. I still give my dad a kiss goodnight when I stay over.
    I try to be different with my kids so give lots of hugs and kisses. One mini fig is super huggable and the other I have to pin down [​IMG]

10. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

My almost 16 year old daughter still snuggles on my knee if she gets half a chance! She is a real cuddler.
    My almost 21 year old son is a semi cuddler. If he hasn't been seen for a few days or recognises when I'm in a lot of discomfort with my hip, he will give me a cuddle.
    Their dad is not much of a cuddler, though. He tends to do the arm punch/hair ruffle thing with our son and a swift top of the head kiss with our daughter.
    I don't remember my parents hugging me from about the time I started secondary school. Mam started hugging again when I became pregnant with her first grandchild.
    I'm not a touchy feely hugger with anyone other than my mother and my kids

11. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I get more hugs from children on the playground in a week than I've ever got from my parents.
    If I'm ever graced with my own children, it will be cuddle central!

12. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

My parents never hugged us as children. I don't remember even being touched other than kissing them on the top of their heads as we went up to bed. My mother never hugged and never never told us she loved us - ever. My dad would have hugged had he had someone to tell him it was OK to hug children and, from the age of 70 he hugged us all for the first time. Sad really and I have to say I really needed them to hug me as a child.
    I hugged my offspring as often as I could and loved showing them affection as did hubby. When they were young they always came for hugs or a cuddle but when daughter got into her teenage years and ever after all affectionate hugs were banished. I really miss them :-(

13. bed

bed New commenter

I don't have, and never will have children of my own but I have been the recipient of many lovely hugs from my parents all my life.
    While Mum was dying it was hug central - one of the saddest things was when she lost the ability to hug - but she still responded to a gentle hug and that touch sensation was so important to her - and us - in her final days.
    Dad hugs us all loads - me, sis and bro too - the youngest of us is 30s the oldest is late 40s - still many hugs - 'Hello'+hug, Goodbye'+hug - and we sibs hug loads too.
    If you want to give a hug surely you can say "oh come here I've got something for you..."
    They'll come - and then you can hug 'em!
    As small or cuddly as comfortable
    It's a physical shorthand for all that love and support and kindness we want to share but cant write or draw or say.
    Be brave - hug
    HUG

Life's too short not to

bed
    xxxxx

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My FIL tried to give a handshake with my son once he reached 7. We soon put him right and although he is still a little stiff with his sons, he now hugs freely, especially with the grandkids

15. My parents...a different generation, obviously, who'd be in their 90s now if still alive...made us feel very loved and cherished, but weren't big on the physical contact stuff...although knees were kissed better, foreheads soothed when needed...and good night kisses given once we were tucked up in bed.
    I have always kissed and hugged my children and we greet and say goodbye with hugs and kisses. It was lovely that my Mum, on becoming a grandmother for the first time at the age of 68, became extremely tactile with my children. She developed her own 'big bear hug'...and youngest son (now 23)still talks of it...missing his Grandma's arms around him.

16. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'm 34 and I still hug my parents! I have 2 young children - my son is 2 and 8 months and my daughter is 9 months - so I hug them all the time. My son is very loving and affectionate and asks me to pick him up and cuddle him.

17. I hug people I am close too whenever I can, my children 18 and 21 still get the best love and cuddles from their mum!

18. My sons 18, & 24 still like a good cuddle from me but haven't hugged Mr Dance for years. Mind you hugging the eldest is like hugging a wash board - he is very underweight and all ribs and elbows, the younger is "rounder" but tends to loom over me and engulf me -more a lean than a hug!!

19. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

The recent Question time (though particularly boring this time) was quite amusing when Prescott reacted to being asked by first a lawyer then a prison officer if he thought he deserved to be elected police commissioner. In the end he had to be rescued by Kenneth Clarke....
    Such a ****.