1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have trouble tying your shoelaces?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Jul 6, 2020.

?

Do you have trouble tying your shoelaces?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    92.0%
  1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Some adults seem to have difficulty tying their shoelaces. Someone I was helping with their garden yesterday for example. I just wonder how common this is?

A straw poll ... :)

2. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

No, it's the toe nails on my right foot that I struggle with because I can no longer bend my toes - they are totally stiff and cannot bend due to Morton's Neuroma in the past........................

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's my belly and my COPD from decades of smoking.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Was taught at 4 years old how to tie laces prior to starting school and have been quite competent at the task ever since.

5. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Yes, I do have trouble. I was left handed when I learnt how to tie my shoe laces but then I had an accident to my left hand. The teacher at school was unsympathetic and forced me to use my right hand to write etc. No excuses. Since then I use my right hand for most things, but my previous skill at tying shoelaces has been compromised somehow and I have been told that I tie shoelaces in a very odd way, which is neither as quick nor as effective.

neddyfonk likes this.
  6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I have no problem tying my own shoelaces, but I have decided to forego tying up my shoes in case I should display any 'cleavage' whilst bending over to do so .....

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

A lot of juniors/teenagers seem to struggle, but that's probably because when they were , their shoes had velcro. Just as men as usually better at tying ties than women who went to schools in which girls didn't wear a tie.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

None of my adult friends have problems tying laces apart from one who is 62 years old, 6 foot 3 inches and can no longer bend down far enough. He loosely ties them when they are off and slips them on with the help of a shoehorn.
    He goes to a chiropodist to have his toenails done as he can't reach them either.

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I stopped buying shoes with laces when I developed a bit of Arthur in my hip, and could no longer bend far enough. Now I can reach my feet, i've still got non lace shoes, but I've had enough shoes containing feet thrust in my face by little people that I still know how to.

10. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Only when on my unicycle.

11. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Why don't modern shoelaces stay done up. The ones on my trainers need a triple bow to stop them coming undone. They are too slippery.

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No, but I generally wear slip-ons anyway. It saves the hassle of having to tie any. If I wear my walking boots, they have to be tied. I have trainers but rarely wear them as they are of such low quality with such soft soles I can feel every stone through them. There was a trend amongst the stupid classes to wear untied trainers, that probably went with trousers falling down, bad hair, ignorance, baseball caps back to front, hoodies in hot weather, and frequent appearances on Police Interceptors.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Circular section laces have this problem, I think.

14. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Similar with me, however at the age of four, I worked out my own method of tying them and have stuck with it ever since. I remember it annoying my mother that I had failed to listen to her instructions, but she let me get on with it anyway, possibly hoping I'd go back cap in hand; and plead with her to show me how to do it properly. Anyway, the laces didn't come undone and because it was simpler than the traditional technique, I took the view of why change something that works?

More recently, I discovered the method I discovered by accident is known as the "Bunny Ears" technique. You tie the initial granny knot, then loop each end of the lace and tie a granny knot with the loops. How simple is that?

Jamvic likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My brother-in-law uses that method. Bloody odd, I don't use it.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Interesting stuff: I remember once someone watching me tie my shoelaces and saying "don't you tie your shoelaces funny?" I had always tied them that way. My mother had shown me when I was about four or five. She had worked in a Timpson shoe shop before she married my dad. In those days, there were "right ways" of doing things, so I assume she was shown a preferred method in the shoe shop. Likewise I lace a shoe the way my mother showed me. The first thing I have to do on buying shoes or trainers is relace them correctly. I have even done it in front of an "assistant" in a shoe shop.

The other was, at primary school, the layout of the school was a little odd and to get from the class I was in to the outside you had to go through another class of younger kids. I do not know why the memory remains, but as I passed through the class of younger kids (I was probably on some errand for the teacher, I was a swot in those days), the teacher asked me to tie the shoelaces for some kid.

17. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Some kids can't tie a tie. Can you do a dickie bow tie? Not on elastic!

18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I’ve known a few adults (teachers) who can’t tie a tie.

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Whe I was in the sea cadets, part of the uniform we had to wear was boots, rather than shoes. They taught us that the boots needed to be laced in such a way that if we injured a foot, the boot could be quickly removed by running a pair of scissors up the laces to cut through them. What this meant is that the laces crossed the uppermost part of the boot in straight lines and the zig-zag part took place inside.

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can tie a bow tie. I used to have a queue of young men to tie them for on the evening of a Ball.

foxtail3 and butties like this.