1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have to hold an interview to appoint a new head?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BrainJim, Mar 3, 2011.

1. This is the scenario. An internal candidate applies for a nationally advertised post. There are two other applicants but neither meet meet the person spec. The governors are happy to appoint the internal candidate but can they legally?
    Thanks

2. This is the scenario. An internal candidate applies for a nationally advertised post. There are two other applicants but neither meet meet the person spec. The governors are happy to appoint the internal candidate but can they legally?
    Thanks

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I don't know the answer, but there are two separate questions here.
    Can the governors interview and appoint the internal candidate against no opposition? I don't see why not.
    Can the governors appoint the internal candidate without bothering to interview them? I doubt it.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't know of any regulation that says an appointment must follow interview; however, the governors would be a tad daft to do it, since they're laying themselves open to charges of nepotism, not following an appropriate process, etc. I think it also puts the appointed person in a potentially difficult position re staff attitudes.

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Guidance came out in 2009 with regard to changes to the appointment of Head and Deputies in school. It was part of the document: Guidance on Managing Staff Appointments in School 2009 (DCSF)
    Quoting from the document relevant to this thread....
    Page 16
    Advertising the post of head teacher and deputy head teacher

5.11 ...governing body must advertise the post in such a manner as it considers appropriate, unless it has good reason not to. (Regulations 15(2), 15(7), 27(2) and 27(7))
    5.12...The governing body should consider the most appropriate way of advertising the post. It should decide the best way of reaching its target audience, taking into consideration the type of media to be used and the level of exposure the advertisement will receive.
    So, the duty to nationally advertise a post has gone, and the requirement to advertise at all is up for negotiation. It does say later in the document that Governing body must have good documented reasons that don't leave them open to reasonable challenge. I know of two instances where this new legislation has been applied.
    In my own school we needed a new Deputy, but at the same time needed to reduce staff. Governors decided to advertise interally, and the AHT got the job. This meant that redundancies were avoided.
    In another situation, governors advertised for a head, but felt they couldn't draw up a suitable short list from the response to the advert. The DHT (who hadn't originally applied) acted up for a year and was then appointed as HT without it going out to advert again.
    In your position, I'd say the Governors would need to formally interview, but there would be no requirement to go out to advert again.