1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have to have a staff governor?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by the apprentice, Sep 13, 2011.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Does every school governing body have to have a member of staff or paid employee that works at the school as a governor? Thanks

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I think every state controlled school does, but I'm not sure about Academies or Trust Schools.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

There has to be at least one SG position (in addition to head) on all LA-maintained schools GBs (although of course if no staff member is willing to serve as a governor there may not actually be any SGs in post). Academies are governed by their own Funding Agreements but I believe the DfE requires at least one SG on each GB. If you are an Academy check the Funding Agreement for your school (available on DfE website)

4. the apprentice

We are a small staff and not too sure that anyone will take over the position..just wondered if it is a legal requirement?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

No-one can be forced to serve as a governor so if no-one stands there will just be a vacancy and the the GB will continue as normal. Why doesn't anyone want to be SG?

6. the apprentice

Not sure , maybe one of them will but just wondered.