1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do you have to do your NQT year as teacher in a school?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by LAZROGERS, Apr 15, 2012.

  1. Hi Guys,

    I am currently nearing the end of a secondary PGCE in D&T.
    I am still unsure if it's for me and am looking at other possibilities...

    In particular I am considering a position with the company Pertemps working as a Multifunctional skills trainer, this involves delivering sessions to young adults who are out of work. Whilst not teaching in a school environment staff are often qualified teachers or work towards teaching qualifications.

    My uncertainty and reason for blogging is to hopefully find out if I would be able to do my NQT year in such a role?

    I have been advised that if I apply for QTLS, either as well as or instead of QTS this would enable me to complete my NQT year in this role.

    Many thanks to anybody who can shed some light on to the issue for me!


  2. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    You need to be employed as a teacher in a suitable induction post. Fundamentally it is up to the school/academy to determine this and make the arrangements for induction with an appropriate body.In some instances there have been partnership arrangements between colleges, schools and the appropriate body to provide a statutory induction for its teachers. There is now more flexibility in the new regulations to determine what is an appropriate post and to have NQTs in different educational settings.
  3. Your QTS ststus will alloq you to teach in an adult education or FE environment, you do not need any other form of status (e.g. QTLS) if your wrok is in an FE college it may be possible to complete induction, but the college would have to agree to support you in full and have someone with QTS available to mentor you. The College would have to agree your induction with an appropriate body (e.g. the local authority) and the LA will determine if your role is suitable for induction. It may or may not be. From this September the induction regulations will change. A draft copy of the new regulations can be found here:
    The Sage
  4. Many thanks to both of you, your replies have been very helpful!!

Share This Page