1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have to do a NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lucyharg92, Apr 17, 2012.

1. I'm currently in my second year teaching degree, however I am unsure if teaching is for me, and therefore am keeping my options open. Just wondered what would happen if i DIDNT do my NQT year? would I still graduate with QTS?
    Thanks

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You get QTS before starting Induction. You can't be an NQT until you have been awarded QTS after your initial teach training.
    once you finish your course and gain QTS, it's up to you if you want to teach immediately, wait a year (or 2 or 20!) or turn your back on teaching altogether.
    With new regulations just approved, you will be able to work as a supply teacher on placements of under a term's length (thus, no Induction possible) for up to 5 years, replacing the current 16 month allowance in England.
    After using up a supply allowance, any further teaching in a State 5-16 school would have to be part of Induction, whether on supply or on a contract.
    QTS is yours for life once you get it. You don't ever have to use it if you decide against teaching but remain qualified. You even remain qualified if you fail Induction.

3. Thank you, I have a much clearer picture now.
    Just another question, you have 5 years to complete your NQT year after graduating, if you don't do this, what happens?

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I never said that and it isn't the case!
    You have 5 years when you can be employed as a qualified teacher without completing Induction, either because you want to sample various schools on shorter-term placements (where Induction terms cannot be undertaken) or beacuse you can't secure Induction work and want to get whatever teaching work you can whilst waiting for it.
    When you've used up your permission to teach in State schools without having completed Induction, you can only teach again in the State 5-16 sector on an Induction basis. that might be immediately after using up your 5 year period or after a gap (of any length).
    Of course, many NQTs will manage to complete Induction in stages or in one go during the 5 year 'window' for taking temporary work. I did mine in 2 schools over 2 and a half years, with a 5 term break between Induction terms 2 and 3 as I'd used up my then 4 term supply allowance. I finally completed Induction 4 years after getting QTS.