1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have to decide what you want to do before you go on Mat Leave?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Sarahdub, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hello everyone, I hope I'm not repeating previous posts but have read conflicting advice on the above issue. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant - due on 2nd July 2011. My head knows I'm pregnant. My self and OH are currently considering both my maternity leave and what we might do after that. I'm veering towards not returning to school after maternity leave. Do I have to resign before July or can i make the definite decision while on Maternity leave? I understand that if you don't return to work full-time for 13 weeks you have to pay back Occupational maternity pay. Could I resign while on mat leave and work the 13 weeks as notice?
    Very confused!
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Hello everyone, I hope I'm not repeating previous posts but have read conflicting advice on the above issue. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant - due on 2nd July 2011. My head knows I'm pregnant. My self and OH are currently considering both my maternity leave and what we might do after that. I'm veering towards not returning to school after maternity leave. Do I have to resign before July or can i make the definite decision while on Maternity leave? I understand that if you don't return to work full-time for 13 weeks you have to pay back Occupational maternity pay. Could I resign while on mat leave and work the 13 weeks as notice?
    Very confused!
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

3. You can decide while on maternity leave - I'd advise this path even if you are certain you won't come back.
    You'd have to actually work the time in question (although school hols count towards the 13 weeks if they fall duing that period) but yes you could resign during the maternity leave.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I would wait until you're on maternity leave to decide what to do. If you 're definitely sure now that you won't go back, then if you let them know in advance you won't be paid the OMP.
    Otherwise you could go back in say June 2012, and work June, July and August as the 13 weeks, so obviously you would only be physically working half of it, but then you would get all your OMP.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think you can still opt to take your non-statutary pay as a lump sum when you go back, so if you don't go back you don't have to repay anything.

6. Yep you can defintely do this in my LEA - it was in the paperwork that I had to fill in and send off to personnel. I suspect it will be the same in most places.

7. Thanks for the replies. It's becoming a lot clearer now. It would definitely be better not to burn any bridges until I'm a hundred percent sure what to do. Thanks again! What an exciting and confusing time! :eek:)

8. I STILL don't get it!!! I'm due just a week or so before you OP and am not going to go back to work. I know that if I dont go back for at least 13 weeks (which I wont be doing) that I would have to pay back some of the money. But I'm confused....
    If I tell them Im not coming back from the start - what money would I get? Is it the same but minus the SMP (is that what its called....the bit id have to pay back if i didnt go back for 13 weeks)?