1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have to be in year 11 to take a GCSE now? Confused...

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by redpens, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hi everyone

My exams officer today told me
    she'd heard that only year 11 pupils will be allowed to sit GCSE exams. We
    currently have a group of year 9s and 10s doing Italian GCSE intending to sit
    the exam summer 2013 when they will be year 10 and 11. If this
    information is correct the year 10 will have completed a two year course without
    the opportunity to take an exam until they are in year 11 a year later!!
    This seems like madness - can somebody tell me this is not the case??

PS Posted on mflresources as well

2. Hi everyone

My exams officer today told me
    she'd heard that only year 11 pupils will be allowed to sit GCSE exams. We
    currently have a group of year 9s and 10s doing Italian GCSE intending to sit
    the exam summer 2013 when they will be year 10 and 11. If this
    information is correct the year 10 will have completed a two year course without
    the opportunity to take an exam until they are in year 11 a year later!!
    This seems like madness - can somebody tell me this is not the case??

PS Posted on mflresources as well

3. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

what a load of rubbish!
    They are changing the format in MFL- no coursework- terminal exams at the end of year 11- but they will still be GCSEs. The current year 9 will be doing the new format. AQA can't tell us yet what the weighting will be for the skill areas- I don't know about the othe exam boards.

4. Yes that's exactly the information I was coming up with from the internet. Has Mr Gove made any announcements to throw a spanner in the works I wonder? To say you can only take exams in year 11 is very different to saying you can only take them at the end of a GCSE course.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I hadn't heard this but it's good news. Where can I find details on line? I wish other exam boards would follow.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

all GCSEs are to be completed over 2 years, not 3

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Controlled assessments are not changing any time soon. Have look under this link to see what AQA says about this. If you click on the tab for performance tables you'll see what counts when.

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Yes I was looking too and couldn't find any reference to it being exams only - how disappointing.

9. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

I had another chat with my HOD about this, who has spent HOURS picking through all the documentation sent by AQA and talking to them on the 'phone- she is convinced AQA are saying that all exams/controlled assessments will be done at the end of the course- in the final year of the course, at the end. They are still not giving any info about the nature or weighting of the exams/assessments.

10. As an update I got thro to Edexcel who confirmed that although CA can be done at any time during the course they can only be submitted at the very end along with the listening and reading. That's all fine.They also confirmed that pupils of any age can sit the GCSE so all these rumours of only year 11s can enter is rubbish.