1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have another job apart from supply teychin?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ostpreussen, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Wonder if any of you guys do anything else to bring in some dosh when you are not supplying?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have several income sources -tutoring and I also design websites.

3. I turned a holiday job into a contracted weekend job, making my non supply days the "weekend". I haven't been working in supply much of late, and am working on offering school workshops in the future. Could have done with Robyn's website expertise.

4. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

Im working match days at a premier league football club as a team leader. It pays some bills!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have astudent rental property, bought (on a mortgage) when my son was at university. The deposit was the best investment I've ever made as the profit I now make after the repayment mortgage is made is more than I'd get from having kept the deposit funds in the Building Society .. plus I'm gaining equity in the property.
    In 6 years, when it's paid off, we'll get an income from it that exceeds Mr jubilee's early retirement pension.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Apart from eBay selling and Car Boot Sales, I've recently bought all the gear I need to start making stretched canvas prints and photo greetings cards to flog at Craft Fairs. I'm also considering basic media transfer services, ie VHS to DVD, A3 scanning and printing, and old photo restoration as a possible money earner. I'd like to get back into freelance writing but that's on the back burner at present due to family illness. I also design websites but I've never considered it as a money earner, simply because my skills are a bit rusty. That said, I did one for Mrs MSB's business recently and she gets regular bookings from it, so it's earning money in that respect.

7. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I'm an independent organiser for Usborne Children's books. I sell the books at fairs, home parties and can sell to schools. This time of year I'm quite busy with stalls for Christmas.

8. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Also doing eBay selling and car boot sales. It's enough to keep petrol in my car and help pay my bills, on top of my JSA.
    Have put an advert in a local shop window for tutoring, as I want to focus locally at first then build up if it works out.

9. I have several jobs, I do babysitting and a playscheme in the school holidays. Now I am about to fill in an application form for tutoring.

10. Since I have only had 2 days supply the whole of the half term, I've asked for extra hours at a call centre. I used to work just evenings and Saturdays, then changed to all day Friday and Saturday, this year I decided to work Thursdays there as well. I've now asked to work Wednesdays - very long shifts; 8 - 5.30 each day, leaving me 2 days for possible (or should I say impossible) supply. It's only £6.60 an hour and it still won't keep me debt free, but I couldn't just keep on hoping for school work.

11. useless

useless New commenter

I teach Bikeability in local primary schools which is very stress-free but it doesn't pay much.

12. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Wow how can one enquire working with Usborne Children's books?

13. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Oooh a job at M&S, I would love that. Sadly I'm not as flexible with my hours in evenings and weekends with my Usborne stuff to apply for a job in a shop, I used to enjoy Christmas in retail when I worked in a sports shop.

14. I'm not too excited about it myself (I would probably prefer doing the type of thing you are), because it just doesn't add much to my skills or CV relevant for teaching. That said, I know I'm lucky to get this as there's so much supply for retail demand at the min

15. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

How much do you average from a party?

16. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Oh thats for Bigpig and her Usborne Books job

17. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I personally don't do many home parties, but there you usually sell at least £100 for the host to get their free books. At events/fairs it varies from hardly any sales to quite good sales (my biggest one was £250 of sales). Basic commission is 24% but you can get more. If you want more info on commission etc. send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.