1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a TLR?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT1986, Nov 29, 2015.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I was going to post this on 'Pay and conditions' but I couldn't find that board (has it vanished in the redecoration!?), but it's more pertinent to Primary as that's where I am.

Would you mind answering a few questions for me? Do you get a TLR and what is it for? Do you find the workload manageable? Do you feel you are expensive and possibly more 'at risk' of being got rid of??

2. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

• I used to have a TLR as Head of Year
    • I've never found the workload "manageable", but usually find it "survivable"
    • No, that was never a particular concern for me, but then the TLR was for something specific.

3. sailing22

sailing22 New commenter

Hi

I am maths co ordinator in a small school and don't get TLR. My wife is English co ordinator in a medium school and no TLR. I am UPS though. I am worried about moving school on UPS.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I had a TLR for maths, RE, PE, ICT, assessment, NQT/student mentoring, community cohesion and a few other areas ( small school!)

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have a TLR for English/Music/Art. The workload is manageable at the moment, but there are some half-terms where I have more going on so it's a lot worse. But if I need extra time I can always ask (might not always get, but there you go!).
    I'm not worried about being forced out at my current school. However, I'm thinking of moving on in a couple of years and it does make me slightly worried. I get a good whack for what I do (Inner London, UPS, TLR) and now there's no pay portability will have to think really carefully about which job I go for.

6. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

- I have a TLR for leading UKS2 and maths across school.
    - The workload is as manageable as you make it. I have a list of jobs and prioritise, sometimes thing don't get done as I just don't have the time. In my first year with a TLR I was struggling with workload. My head (since retired) told me that my job and the vast majority of my pay was as a teacher, the small proportion as a TLR was on top of, not instead of, the teaching role. Since then I've always felt like I had the backing to simply say I don't have enough time to do x or y when asked.
    - I don't feel at risk of being got rid of, but any move from where I am will almost certainly need to be to a deputy position. On UPS sideways moves seem to be a thing of the past.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I have a tlr for developing teaching and learning, supporting teaching across the school, mentoring nqts and leading a subject area team. It's a bit of a mixed bag and some weeks I have more to do than others.

8. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I moved school, from a closing middle school, with a protected TLR for head of Drama. That's now finished and I lead English for free! I now work harder than ever but for less money! Maths leader is the assistant head so on Leadership pay. I do think in Primary school we are expected to go above and beyond our high school/middle school colleges without renumeration.