1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a system for receipts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Jul 16, 2015.

1. I don't, and the effort required to find one when I need to invoke a warranty is one of the major stresspoints of my life. (See ironing thread...)

I was wondering today if I would ever have the discipline to take a photo of any receipts for major purchases, and store them in a dropbox folder.

Or even just use a box that's easy to reach to stuff them into. Every so often I clear out my whole purse into somewhere or other but in such a disorganised way that I wouldn't know what box has receipts from when. And they all go in there so I've got receipts from takeaway meals along with expensive tech stuff that's likely to go wrong.

Sometimes I think I shouldn't have been allowed to be a grownup, I lack some of the crucial basic skills.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Receipts go in 'Guarantees' or 'Suppliers' folder depending upon item/service. A real, actual folder in a real, actual filing cabinet.

Shopping receipts are pinned to the whiteboard until reconciled with the card statement.

3. I bow to you GDW!!

My "reconciliation" of my card statements consists of glancing down the list and fondly remembering this or that meal or shopping trip (though of course groceries I'd never have any idea about!).

I have a friend who carries a little book and in it he writes down everything he spends, to the nearest fiver or so. I bet he's good with receipts too.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ever since my suitcase was stolen from a train in France, I've kept all my receipts bar the usual supermarket, meals out etc, ones.

I don't photograph them. What's the point? They all get bunged into a concertina file and I never let shop assistants stick receipts in carrier bags.

Remember to keep receipts for holiday buys: suncream, mosquito repellent etc add up to a tidy sum. If you get ripped off, the lot goes, and you should claim for it all.

I speak as a highly disorganized person, by the way, but I did learn my lesson when I arrived at our destination with EVERYTHING gone!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

My mother used to keep a record of what she spent, to the penny. This was in the days when the Tesco receipt was a list of prices with no identification of the items, but she knew what everything cost, exactly what she'd bought, and kept a full record.

(I wonder if she kept the books - they might be quite interesting to look back at.)

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

I keep receipts both physically in a series of folders by month and later by year and I also scan them each week into a digital file.

I've done the former since I had to claim expenses and for tax returns (lots of years ago) and the latter since I got my first scanner.

Slightly anal possibly but trained habits die hard

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Receipts for clothes etcgo in my knicker drawer and are cleared out 6 monthly. Receipts for household goods, expensive things go in a receipt folder.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

For business-related expenses I keep all receipts, although I don't waste time and paper printing eBay/PayPal stuff as that's stored electronically and can be recovered. I keep a spreadsheet record of all income and expenses too. I buy far more non-food stuff online than ever I do in shops so there's always an electronic record somewhere.

For household I only keep receipts/statements for utilities and items that have a warranty or guarantee, in case of a claim. I also keep all the related bumf that comes with consumer goods, gadgets, furniture etc as the exact model numbers come in handy for ordering spares online. I chuck supermarket receipts straight away as I only buy small amounts of stuff.

For the vehicles I keep pretty much everything so I have a full service and repair history if I sell.

9. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Receipts for big items go with their guarantee in the filing cabinet. Other receipts are clipped together in order of purchase date and kept until the item has been worn/ used.

Other things are filed appropriately in filing cabinet- car stuff; passports; mortgage; insurance documents. One of my great pleasures in life is to create order out of chaos.

10. josienig

josienig Star commenter

I feel so inadequate! I keep receipts and things but if I need them I have to thrash the drawers and presses to locate. I usually find them and promise I'll be better organised next time!

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Receipts for clothes, toiletries, perfume etc go in a box and are cleared out when I'm confident the item will be used/worn. I always have receipts put in the carrier bag and then decant them into the box when I get home. If I put them in my handbag, I would definitely misplace them. I go through all carrier bags before adding them to the 'saved bags' bag.

Receipts for household goods go in the household folder ( or should). Guarantees are with them.. It's not an infallible system for us, things do go missing.

I have files for car documents, bank stuff, pension, insurances and other 'formal' stuff.

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Mine just get paper clipped together with a little post-it saying "june 2015" or what ever month it is, then put into a folder. This helps when it comes to tax time for business purposes.