1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a satnav?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Mar 23, 2012.

1. And if so, what prompted you to get one?
    Some friends came round tonight and all of them have a satnav and made me feel like a dinosaur for not having one.
    But I don't need one. I rarely drive very far and if I am driving to an area I don't know, I use a map. Or I may be very advanced and google how to get there and print it out.
    I have so far managed to get everywhere (just as I did when I bought my first car a few decades ago).
    I don't actually think my friends really need one, either, as none of them is a sales-rep, nor do they travel on holiday via car. I am sure they use the blinkin thing to drive to the supermarket and back.
    But maybe I am missing something (well, I am not missing the annoying voice...)

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

It becomes more useful when you are on a long journey where an accident has happened, causing long tail-backs. If you have a decent one, it warns you of trouble ahead in advance and finds you a good route that doesn't have any delays. Of course it doesn't actually replace common sense - our road was closed off one end a while ago - and despite the rather large and obvious "no through-road" sign - an amazing number of people blindly followed their satnav down the road at a ridiculous speed, and came to a screeching halt at the dead-end!!

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I use mine for long distances and for driving abroad.I got it as a present as I have no sense of direction!

4. The radio tells you that.

5. Mine was also a present. I got given it due to my long commute and need to avoid traffic. Otherwise I'd probably guess. Not sure I'd have bought one for myself.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My satnav is my friend.
    I can set out with confidence to drive anywhere, knowing that all I have to do is focus on driving the car and dealing with the traffic.
    My navigation skills used to be brilliant - back in the days when I sat in the back seat with a map in one hand and a baby up my jumper.
    Since moving to our current address fifteen years ago, I seem to have lost my sense of direction somewhat. I blame it on the magnetics of the area - something has really thrown it out of balance. I can still use a map and find my way, but it needs some concentration - I can't do that when I'm driving. I tend to lose confidence in my decisions at junctions and the last thing I need is to be dithering about the route whilst trying to find a gap in the traffic.
    Love my satnav, and often thank her when she gets me smoothly through tricky points in the route. I had quite a bit to say to her when I drove to Heathrow Airport some months ago - gratitude at being in the right lane and being given the heads up in advance of icky turns.

7. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I don't have one. I use the old-fashioned A-Z even if I have to stop several times to refresh my memory of the route, and then struggle to read it upside down on my way home. Having a satnav stops you thinking about where places are in relation to each other and you never really know where you are.

8. The radio doesn't tell you an alternative route though. When you work 35 miles from home, you don't tend to know the back routes that void traffic.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

moving 200 miles south all on my own to a town I didnt know....

oh and they where on offer!

10. Mine does! At least for part of the way.
    I do!
    Ok, maybe I am old-fashioned... back in the day (of cloth caps and tin baths), I drove all over Europe without a satnav.
    I am still not convinced that they are really of use to the average person (I can see the use for those whole travel far often, such as sales-reps).

11. Would you have bought one if they were not on offer? And how good an offer was it, if you don't need one in the first place?
    You could have googled the route...[​IMG] (come on, that is technological, isn't it?)

12. Nobody NEEDS a satnav. It's convenience or laziness only.
    cyolba, real men use maps :)

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I bought mine because of the things it doesn't tell me. It doesn't say "oh I think it was that turning back there"' or explain that it can't look out of the window and read a map. It never points right and shouts left and it has never ever said " you'd think there would be a road here wouldn't you".

14. Yes, that is what it is sold as.

15. Are you telling me...it is less annoying than a man in the passenger seat?

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It's no good keep stopping to check the map or printed route off Google and not safe to do so when driving. Road signs are ok, but you need to know the sequence of places to go through on the way, unless you are just going to somewhere big.
    I bought a Navman Tourer when I had to travel some distance to visit another school shortly after passing my test. I wouldn't have been able to do it without it. After that, I thought I wouldn't need it often. Middle daughter was doing a lot of travelling to see friends all over the country and so I gave her my satnav. Having gotten used to the ease of using one, I went out and bought another one for myself because I was missing it.

18. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't be without mine when driving through London. You can't pull over to check the right exit when you are hurtling round a roundabout.

19. [​IMG]
    Yup...my feeling about them too. I have a lot of road maps and love perusing them but have noticed so few people have any awareness of British geography or the location of places and things..I LOVE my maps...always have and drive without a sat-nav. I always know which direction to point the car because of my awareness of towns to each other. Even in the middle of nowhere there are road signs...
    Not only that, before I set off I find <u>inner city</u> roads on Google maps...and jot down all the streets near the place I want to get to. Last time when the man's sat-nav kept telling us to turn around and retrace our steps (journey) I switched off the bloody thing and said "If you go down there you'll come to A and to the left is a road which will take us to B. We got there quickly and easily...yet the sat nav couldn't take us the way I did for some reason.
    I hate the bloody things.
    A while ago I had a boyfriend who was new to the town in which he lived. I knew it like the back of my hand. When driving locally he'd have his sat-nav on and invariably it would take him MILES out of his way on by-passes and things when I KNEW the shortest route would take him minutes on minor road...yet the sat-nav hadn't recognised them. His insistence on using the bloody thing and driving where it told him to go was probably one of the reasons we finished [​IMG]
    We were just too unalike...I was almost exploding with irritation whenever we drove anywhere [​IMG]