1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a preference with train seats?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 14, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

If you have a choice, will you select a seat by the window or by the aisle? Do you yearn most to watch where you're heading to or where you've already been? Would you choose a seat where you could stretch your legs out because there is a seat in front of you facing the opposite direction or favour a seat where you know there will be fewer people climbing over your legs as the train fills up and empties?
    Do you head for a seat where there's a newspaper you can read for free, or a table to leave your rubbish on?

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I sit in the same one every morning on the way to work, I won't even consider a different one - I think I'd rather walk.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Rear facing - something about a train suddenly stopping seems to be safer if it's rear.
    Mind you, I'll probably end up with stuff flying towards me.
    But trains are out of my price range now.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Window
    Where I'm heading - may feel queasy otherwise [​IMG]
    Depends how full the train is whem I get on - prefer the first option - but will choose the second if I think the train is going to be full.
    So where do you sit? [​IMG]

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

When travelling alone, I prefer a forward-facing and aisle seat, no table. I don't like being penned in by a stranger and would rather occupy my own little bubble of privacy afforded by the tall seatbacks than have table space shared with three others.
    The best way to travel is a single seat in first class. Window AND aisle, plush seat, quiet, peaceful. I got a cheap upgrade on the train to London last year. Bliss.

6. Aisle, forward-facing, table for my laptop. Preferably nobody else in the carriage.
    As I hate trains, even German trains, I take a hire car for biz, if flying is not an option.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

With my right leg on an aisle, facing in the direction the train is moving, on one of the Priority seats because they have more leg room and in a specially designated Quiet compartment.

8. Window and facing the way the train is going.
    I like leg room so if I can get a table seat that's better - I'm only 5'2" and I can't understand how anyone taller can manage with the given leg room. I prefer to sit alone and read or fall asleep, but if I sit near someone I would rather have a conversation than sit in silence. I find sitting near someone with headphones a pain as I have very sharp hearing and I find the tinny noise and the anti-social aspect of it annoying.
    I do like travelling by train but wish it was a lot cheaper. I can't drive due to disability at the moment and rely on the train - can't do buses for long journeys as I get travel sick.

9. modelmaker

Where I live in outer Kent, it's just two stations down the line from where the train sets off, so I have pretty much every choice of seat I could hope for on my outward journey. I'd opt for a seat where I could stretch my legs out.
    But it takes an hour and twenty minutes to get me into London, which is invariably the end of any train journey I make, and on route, as the train fills up, it often occurs to me it's a poor choice.

10. Left, window, forward facing and near the door. My commuter train doesn't have tables but if it did I wouldn't choose to sit at one.
    Much the same for planes and I prefer to sit in front of the wings. (wonders if the plane flies anti-clockwise!) [​IMG]

11. modelmaker

Have you ever looked at the cost of single journeys and compared them to return journeys? I encountered the prospect of doing so yesterday.
    I'd sold a machine to a firm of architects, and having closed the deal was told that it needed to be installed on the first floor which involved carrying up 2.5 flights of stairs. A heavy machine that would require more hands than I have to lift, and at my age, it would be unthinkable to do anything other than to pass my vast experience onto the next generation and teach them how it's done through supervision.
    So we rustled up 3 fit lads and a luton van with a taillift. The van only had 3 seats, so I caught the train. Remarkably, they arrived at the destination just as I was settling myself down to enjoy a cup of coffee and a fag in a cafe a minute's walk away.
    And everything went according to plan, aside from the fact that my secretary asked if I would give my train ticket to her son so he could get back home to beat his job at 3.00pm and come home in the van with the other lads.
    But then the architects weren't organised to be trained how to use the machine and wouldn't be able to muster the staff until after 2.30pm. The van had to be back to the rental place by 5.00pm so I sent the remaining lads off with it and returned myself on the train.
    The return jouney cost £26.30. The single journey back home cost £25.70. How do they work that out?

12. Yes - returns work out hugely cheaper. I don't understand the pricing policy - I tend to check on the internet if I know I'm going to travel a few days in advance.
    I find London is one of the cheapest places to get to as there seem to be offers. Travelling east to west is always expensive, as is going north. It is also very cheap to get around London by tube.I love going there as it is so convenient to get anywhere.
    My son used to get cheap travel as his grandfather worked on the railways and spent a lot of his teenage years getting on a train and disappearing for a couple of days.

13. modelmaker

I remember that I once found myself boarding a train before anyone else at Victoria and sat down in a seat where I could stretch my legs, but shortly after, a blind man and his guide dog sat down opposite me.
    Not to much of a problem at first glance, but it was in the heat of summer, and the guide dog was a long-haired Alsation who was panting like crazy, probably desperate for a drink.
    When the train moved out, the dog rapidly swung it's head from side to side to try and make sense of the visions it could see from either side of the carriage and showered me with the slobber from it's panting tongue.
    I had to move seats and felt embarraessed about the need to do so in case the blind man was offended, then wondered whether the people I next sat by would be concerned by my brushing the blind man's dog's hair off my suit, which had accumulated more than enough considerering our short encounter.

14. Because they do a mix calculation, which based on total volume makes for more revenue over the calendar year. It is far better to have two seats booked than one.
    Even if one of those is not used.
    A bulk booking is always more lucrative for the seller.
    I don't sell any differently myself - the more you book, the cheaper I make it.

15. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

train seats? you won the lottery?

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I haven't travelled by train in years!
    When I did, my preference was for a forward-facing seat, near the door (so I can keep an eye on my luggage!), preferably a fair distance from the loo (which always seemed to have a pervasive odour that drifted down the nearby corridors!, with a table, and as few other people as possible - no children please, and if the train has one a designated 'quiet' carriage.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Any seat would be good on a commuter train! On the occasions that I have had to catch the train into London for a conference or some such, it is always impossible to get a seat and I really don't like swaying under a stranger's armpit for an hour, with Bethannie's toilet aroma wafting. The tube from Waterloo is a complete nightmare and I won't use it now in the morning rush hour (or three.)

18. Backwards, window, space to sprawl.
    But if there's a chance of crowding, I like to be at the end of a carriage (near a door) on an aisle seat. I don't deal brilliantly with feeling "trapped" by people.
    I tend to drive, anyway.

19. I always ask but they never let me drive.....they let me blow the whistle and wear the guard's hat sometimes....if I'm good.

20. Lol! I like a window seat, facing forward, reasonably close to a loo.. and if there's a 'quiet' section, yes, I'm in!